• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8$ airl filter

PAm1009

just changed my air filter in my 1009 just put a cheapy one in and WOW what a differnce a lot smoother idle and woke it up a lilttle bit i know it sounds dumb Its the simple things like that make me happy..

rod

just changed my air filter in my 1009 just put a cheapy one in and WOW what a differnce a lot smoother idle and woke it up a lilttle bit i know it sounds dumb Its the simple things like that make me happy..

I hope your "cheapy" air filter doesn't cost you big $$$ in the future by letting too much dust & dirt into the engine. :wink::wink::wink: Usually, air filters are not something I want to go cheap on.

Westech

CPL
The Fram air filter at Autozone is around 8 bucks..... unless your desert racing I don't think you need the $50.00 washable type. A paper filter is all you should need in a daily driver. I stopped using the $$ stuff a long time ago and even in the super late model race car we went back to a paper air filter.

Fram CA3492 14x4 Paper 796 CFM
Filter rated at 26-28 Micron

K&N same filter rated to 882 CFM
Filter rated to 20 Micron

Not that large of a difference. but at full CFM the K&N FAILS!
Paper filter: 100 - 99.29 = 0.71% dirt through
K&N filter: 100 -
99.05 = 0.95% dirt through

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchase one K&N air filter for every vehicle we own. I buy it ONCE. My wife's car we bought new about six years ago. It is still running it's K&N we bought back then.

Same for my three CUCV's. I also have an air filter housing mod that with the K&N air filter, you WILL get a lot more flow. That, along with replacing your exhaust system with a free flow muffler set up will wake your CUCV a lot. Then, upgrade the injector nozzle ends and you are on your way to a 'hot rod' CUCV.

Doesn't cost a ton to wake up these engines.

View attachment 228838

And don't take this the wrong way, if you've got ONE MV, then yah, I do understand the going the cheap route. But I own THREE so if I change three filters once a year, that's $15 per year - yeah it takes ten years for me to break even cost wise.

But I also concur with rod and I have never just gone cheap. I guess I'm weird like that. Can't say why.

Last edited:

chevymike

Yeah, I have read many reports about K&N filters and for street driven vehicle, I might buy another one (this is coming from someone who has them on my hot rod trucks and used them for years) but for anything that goes off pavement, never again. They do not filter enough of the fine dust. I have found this very fine powder dust in the intake track after the filter (and yes, the filter sealed correctly). Switch to a quality (NAPA Gold) filter and never saw the problem again.

My .02 worth.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

I'm with Westech on this one, my $8 fram air filter every year makes me very happy. I did quite a serious look into K&N filters a year ago - seems more of a sales pitch than hard science to me. Paper air filters are my favorite for a daily driver, they actually catch more junk than the oiled ones, so long as you change them on time (see Westech's post above).

Oil filters would be somewhere to splurge on in my opinion. Using a WIX filter (very well made for it's price, about $10-12 for our CUCV's) has made a big difference on how fast my oil gets dirty and how fast it takes the truck to build oil pressure from a cold start. I've heard Fram oil filters are among the worst.

lavarok

Same for my three CUCV's. I also have an air filter housing mod that with the K&N air filter, you WILL get a lot more flow.
Your opened up air filter mod also makes the 6.2L VERY loud. I tried something similar and had a headache within 5 minutes of driving.

ODdave

Im with the paper filters on this one. Have a couple of K&N's and im not sold on them. Good if you want one more thing to do when you change your oil......Seen alot of over-oiled ones contaminate MAF sensors as well

kassim503

I too have had a couple of K&N's and noticed fine dirt on the clean side of the intake box after the swap.

A good napa/wix or mobil 1 oil filter is definitely the way to go

zang

The Eastern Europe is dust on the streets... almost as offroad...
The best filters are the MAN. Here in our area.
For K&N filters need snorkel. A bad air will wear out very quickly filtered engine oil.
All the best!