• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8 lug rim question

1984CUCV

I am looking at some 35 12.5X16.5 tires with 8 lug rims that came off a 2001 3/4 ton dodge and wanted to know if these rims will fit my CUCV. I have 6 inch lift so i am not worried about the height just if the rim bolt pattern is the same? Anyone have any expertise with this. A quick response will be greatly appriciated. Thanks and hope you all have a great new year.

aboonski

I have four of these Dodge rims, brand new but have never tried them on my M1008A1. I can measure the setback distance from the back of the rim to where it bolts to the differential if you want. I have been told the bolt pattern is the same for Chevy, Mopar and Ford 8-lug rims. I also have five H1 12-bolt rims and Wrangler tires that I bought and may decide to sell because I just don't have the funds to modify my CUCV with the lift and spacers required to make them work on my truck. I live in West Melbourne Florida by the way.

pauld

I run 4 of these rims on my truck and dont find any problems,there presently fitted with 36 12.50 16.5 goodyear wrangler RT tyres of a hummer, no lift and just a little trim on the front wings (fenders ) .:razz:

AJMBLAZER

The modern (okay, 94+) Dodge rims will fit but the backspacing is too deep and their might be hub issues. Their backspacing is around 6" and the center hole ranges from will barely fit to get out the mill...

Oh, and GM and Dodge still use the standard 8x6.5" lug pattern even today. I have rims off of a 2007 GMC 1 ton van on Big Ugly. They fit fine. Ford went to the slightly different metric 8 lug pattern with the advent of the modern Super Duties in the 1999 model year.

Last edited:

dependable

Having played around in the junk yard, I would say that some of the 8 bolt rims are interchangable, but just being able to jam it on does not mean it is a proper fit. Check offset as mentioned in this thread. Also center ring can be slightly different . chevy duals use a ring clamp system that is different....It is best to stick with rims that fit on axeles. This is where the rubber meats the road so don't mess up. Some interchangability is there, but it is less than it would seem from just looking at rims. Good luck be safe.

AJMBLAZER

Provided they don't have some weird offset those should work fine. They're just aftermarket white wagon wheels. We thought you were talking about stock rims.

Elwenil

Not always. There are several different makes of the old style "wagon wheels". The shells are made differently and some will interfere with the brakes. It all depends on the size of the brakes and the design and offset of the rim. I have a set of 8 lug 15"x10" rims here that will not clear the calipers on my front D60 and barely clear the rear drums. The only way to know is to test fit them before you mount the tires so you can return them if they rub.

kennyw

Not always. There are several different makes of the old style "wagon wheels". The shells are made differently and some will interfere with the brakes. It all depends on the size of the brakes and the design and offset of the rim. I have a set of 8 lug 15"x10" rims here that will not clear the calipers on my front D60 and barely clear the rear drums. The only way to know is to test fit them before you mount the tires so you can return them if they rub.
On a 15" wheel you are correct, but on a 16.5" wheel he will not have any problems with brake clearance.

Croatan_Kid

You're right about some rims not fitting. Back in the day (speaking of stock rims on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks), Ford rims had the biggest hub openings in the rims, Dodge and Chevy were about the same.

Therefore, Ford rims would fit anything else. Dodge and Chevy rims would interchange, but wouldn't fit a Ford. Plus Ford used massive dual piston calipers to further add to the mix!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks