• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 series brake conversion

halftrack

I dont know if this subject has already been discussed, but does anyone know of a kit or conversion package to change an 800 series 5 ton to air brakes? Is it simple or not worth it? I tried several times to buy wrecked 900 series trucks to just swap them, but even they go pretty expensive.

Jones

Do you know which axles you have? If they're the same as the M900 series trucks the backing plates should bolt right on. If not, swapping axles might be the fastest although no necessarily the cheapest. Remember too that you'll have to get an E-7 treadle valve (brake pedal assy), relay valve and a couple of quick release valves for the rear axles and possibly a limiting quick release for the front.
Go to Bendix's site and download the "Air Brake Handbook", available in .pdf format and read up on the differences of air over hydraulic vs. full air brakes. Also check out the "Air Brake Components" handbook at the same site to get a description of the various components. I'm putting full air in my baby HEMTT project truck so I'm a few months further ahead on the same stuff you're contemplating.

Memphis equipment did a bunch of civi s cam brake conversions to 5 ton trucks so the parts are out there but i don't have part #'s. in my opinion the s cam style really hang in a bad spot when fitted to the 5 ton Rockwell's. the wedge system fits way better as far as keeping the components out of harms way. there will be those that disagree but the wedge system is far superior as far as braking power, just a pain in the butt to adjust.

acetomatoco

Zeligson out on the Kalifornia side of the country did some too... actually maybe in Tulsa.....lot of power companies bot the gas 5 tons with Z conversions and hardtops with pole setters on em....How do I know? I have one... ACE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks