• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 series going up in price!

halftrack

It seems 800 series brought in a pretty dime this past auction. Just one auction ago they were going for abut 2k less. Anyone know why or did anyone get one? Some of the m813s look average to decent. Nothing jump out at me.

HeadWizard

5 ton cargos went in the 3's and 4's in last weeks auction, 3772.

Today (from what I saw) they went in the 4's, 5's and 6's.

45 days ago they were going in the 5's, 6's and 7's consistantly.

Yes, I also heard that there is a contract out for 800 cargo for overseas, BUT the normal suspects that would normally fill these contracts have excess 800 series trucks listed for current sale on their web sites - and also when I called them ;-)

Let's face it - $5k for a running 800 series cargo is a pretty good price when you look at what you are getting. Not to mention the :-D factor that you get when you drive one!

Really don't think the price will go down too much, bad economy or not. 2cents

OldGoat

The 818's in NJ sold fairly cheap ($2200 or less). The 818 on ebay sold for 3100 with a title, hard top & cab heat, fresh paint.

As far as the economy, we haven't seen anything yet. It took three years for the final effects of the depression to be felt. Maybe these items won't drop, some things like guns have held their values, but pretty much everything else has. The credit card companies are cutting limits as we speak. You might not have noticed it, but less credit card offerings are being sent out. The banks are struggling & have been holding onto money that the Government sent to bail them out.

Last edited:

Pappa-G

The prices of guns have almost doubled. A AR style rifle in .308 cal that sold for $900 three months ago is up around $2200 now and they are back ordered for 12 weeks. Ammo is drying up too. Makes me nervous:|

dburt

Good trucks will always command a higher price. There are lots of marginal ones out there, anything needing TLC should stay more stable price wise, but as more folks discover the hobby/addiction of the MV's, the guys with bucks will pony up more and more bucks to get the good ones. Idaho Motor Pool has a pretty decent 5-ton cargo with winch, drop side, heater, soft top, fair tires, California truck (so no rust issues), 29,000 miles, for $12,500. And he recently sold another 5-ton cargo and has been selling the 5-ton tractors right and left. Seems to be lots of demand out there right now, therefore- the price goes up!! Kinda like the law of supply and demand. Get a good one while you can!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this talk of 800 trucks drying up makes me want to go against my better judgment and get one although I'd rather have a 54A1.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the money Don. I've sworn off 5 tons because parts are too heavy for me to work with anymore. My very first MV was a 67 M54A2C. GSA truck cost me a whopping $537. It sat for 10 yrs and I came along and got it running and drove it 20 of the 40 miles it needed to go, to a friends house, before it caught fire. FWIW I've also sworn off credit cards!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
i dont know whats up with the 5tons but i know i've sworn off the deuces. that means i need 5 more 5tons...and they are getting too expensive....what's a feller to do????:roll:

MilitaryRestoration

i'm sure prices are higher just because people are getting 'scared' of the auctions/gl going away/ending... so to speak. I figured the first sales after all the gl bs that happened a few weeks ago, are all going to go higher than what they have in recent past. thats my 2cents. So just wait it out, prices always go up and down anyway... I got my 5ton for 3k less that the ones that sold a month before mine and looked 2x as bad.... (food for thought)

joestewart

How much have the m816 wreckers been selling for? I haven't been watching lately. I paid $7950 for mine several months ago, and was satisfied with the price. Would have loved to get it cheaper though.

dburt

A little perspective might help here. You still get ALOT of truck for the bucks! A five-ton wrecker for under $8000? Try pricing a new or used civilian equivalent, at under $8,000 it was the bargain of the century! Yes, I too have severe 5-ton envy, I just have not figured out how to get the bucks together without selling my deuce which I want to keep. But even a good deuce is "cheap" compared to alternative civi trucks out there. Perhaps some of us have been spoiled by somewhat low prices for so long, and of course hope and even expect those low prices to continue. What's the saying- "All good things come to an end?" Let's just hope it's a bump in the road and prices come back down!

coeder

Each auction they keep climbing. The 818's in Michigan are climbing into the 3's and there is two days left. I previewed the trucks and they are nice but not great. I can buy great 818's for 3's locally that have been serviced, painted, and proven. The g/l auctions are getting tough because everyone is running scared for no reason.