• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a - Almost done...

Toolslinger

Crappy day outside, so time to wire the outlet on the 802a.
Because my use is both as a house backup, and then also to run some 3 phase tools as needed, I wanted one plug that can handle everything. It isn't code, because such a plug doesn't exist. However, an L21-30 will let me pull what I want from it, and handle the 30 amps. For the house, I'm just picking up X and Z plus the neutral, and ground. That's taken care of by the cord I feed the house with which has a male L21-30, and a female CS6364C. (I set the house up with a 50 amp inlet in case I find I want a bigger gen set down the road)

So, I picked up a weather resistant outlet.
2024-05-04 10.58.32.jpg
2024-05-04 10.58.20.jpg

The holes that the MEP has to hold the inlet bushing were just slightly too narrow. Just a couple minutes with a file to open them up a bit.
2024-05-04 10.57.57.jpg

4 bolts later, it's in. Didn't have stainless handy, so brass will do just fine.
2024-05-04 11.15.02.jpg
2024-05-04 11.15.08.jpg

I'm going to add an external lug to ground the unit when running the 3 phase, and also an external washdown rated switch to either bond, or float it. Don't have the switch handy, but the lug will go on today.

I'm the only person that will be running this unit away from the house. It will normally sit at the house, preset for that application. My other half is pretty much never here when I'm not since she lives in another state, but she will be brought up to speed on verifying the settings, and running it to power the house.

I already have quite a bit of L21-30 cable and breakouts from a previous life in live event production. There will be no issue feeding the juice around to any particular application.

Toolslinger

It either came via Amazon, or Zoro, I don't recall which. Possibly even Ebay. Regardless, if you search for the catalog number on the photo of the tag on the yellow box above, it'll show up. It's a complete assembly from Hubbel that includes the outlet.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-30a-wa...eptacle-3p-4w-125250vac-hbl2710sw/i/G3119706/ . Put it in your cart for a few days and if you don't buy... you will likely get a 10-15% off coupon in your inbox.

The item # is slightly different than the one on his yellow box. Thats the one I put in my machine, linked above. Its tapped only for 120/240V. The one the other posted linked to supports 120/208.

I will never use 3PH, so no sense in paying more.

upstateguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like how clean this turned out. Like to find a reasonably priced 50 amp 120/240V single phase solution for the MEP-803A. Thinking about mounting a SS2-50R to support the 10 kw continuous output (12 kw peak). Can’t find a Hubble that style with the female receptacle for the output. Lots of options for the male plug input from a power source (typically used for 50A input to RV or to a house with code compliant transfer switch or interlocked backfeed breaker).

Last edited: