• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a Connection corrosion

Acableguy06

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opened up one of my 802a's and a bunch of screw heads have quite a bit of rust/corrosion on them. The control box is fine it's the section behind that on TB-3 and TB-4 What would be good to spray/brush on to stop it from getting worse, or just leave it alone?20230203_152930.jpg20230203_152950.jpg

Ray70

In addition to cleaning, about the only thing you can do is remove a few screws and wires and check to see how the contacts, terminal block and underside of the screw heads look. If the underside of the heads are also corroded you may want to 1 by one 1, clean the terminal block and wire contact and replace the screws. There was another fellow on here who did just that. If you can find that thread it may say what he used for screws. Might be #10-32 x 3/8" stainless, but that's just a guess, remove and check 1 first if you go that route.

87cr250r

You will need an acid to remove corrosion. Maybe citric acid would work? It's not very strong but leaves no residue.

Personally, I would just replace the screws. The terminals and bars are all copper and you'll find them to be a-ok under the screw heads.

Afterwards, hose it down with your favorite corrosion inhibitor spray.

Acableguy06

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So once clean with whatever method I end up using. Should I spray all terminals with Boeshield t-9 or fluid film to prevent rust/corrosion of the terminals?

Ray70

Using an inhibitor definitely won't hurt anything, but usually sets that look like that either sat outside with the cover off or got wet and stayed wet for a while, somehow! That amount of rust and corrosion doesn't typically happen just from normal humidity etc.

Acableguy06

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using an inhibitor definitely won't hurt anything, but usually sets that look like that either sat outside with the cover off or got wet and stayed wet for a while, somehow! That amount of rust and corrosion doesn't typically happen just from normal humidity etc.
Yeah, this is the oldest 802 I have "99" all my others are 08-10. This one's seen some things. Had a reset tag removed so don't know what level/hours. Meter has 900 hours. Runs great and overall condition is pretty good just those 2 TB's have a bunch of corrosion on the screws.

87cr250r

Most electrical wire is PVC or polyethylene based insulation. These tolerate all oil types. Only EPDM rubber is sensitive (SO cord). That's why I say it really doesn't matter what system you use. Use the one you can get. If you do have SO cord, coat with silicone based oils.

Guyfang

Staff member
If it really bothers you, Look up Marco Manufacturing co. in the net. They supplied these terminal strips to the Military. Part numbers are in the TM. If you need help finding them, say something. Call them. They might even sell you just the screws. Or, start a parts wanted thread, and list part numbers and NSN's. Maybe someone is parting out a gen set, and will sell them to you. I can think of several people who do that.

Acableguy06

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it really bothers you, Look up Marco Manufacturing co. in the net. They supplied these terminal strips to the Military. Part numbers are in the TM. If you need help finding them, say something. Call them. They might even sell you just the screws. Or, start a parts wanted thread, and list part numbers and NSN's. Maybe someone is parting out a gen set, and will sell them to you. I can think of several people who do that.
Well, it wouldn't bother me to leave it alone if it would be ok. I think it's just the screw heads, that's why I asked "or just leave it alone". So far the consensus has been to clean them up with products recommended or replace the screws. I would be happy to just spray something on them and let them ride as opposed to break each currently good connection fiddle around, put all back together and create an issue for nothing.

Ray70

Yeah, this is the oldest 802 I have "99" all my others are 08-10. This one's seen some things. Had a reset tag removed so don't know what level/hours. Meter has 900 hours. Runs great and overall condition is pretty good just those 2 TB's have a bunch of corrosion on the screws.
Don't worry about the hours, the meters are not something to rely on anyway as it could have been changed at any any point. The Reset tags don't tell you a whole lot either other than the date it was reset and where.
Look at the starter side of the engine. If there is a serialized tag on the engine, to the right of the starter , the machine is Tan and has Faria Beede gages in it, then my guess would be a tier 2 reset done 900 hours ago