• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802A Exhaust questions

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Finally won a few, all three are runners (150-200 hours). One is missing the exhaust flap, I saw on ebay they sell a farm tractor style cap. Anyone try this sort of setup? I was considering just buying some piping and the individual caps (cheaper), but I cant find the 802A exhaust pipe diameter in the manual (and I am not home to measure), anyone know? Ultimately one will go in a block room outside to make the already quiet generator quieter.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks. I found the flappers for 20.00 online and they seem like a good idea. Any idea how long of a pipe you can add before the motor is affected by back pressure?

lxawolf

Not sure how long you could go, but one thing to think about is the extra weight. It could crack the factory mount and deform the flange and exhaust gasket. If you would need to fabricate an external bracket of some type.

Humpy

Based on experience if the exhaust is left open things tend go in them and build nests. A flapper IMHO is the safest and most effective way to go as I have one on a farm tractor.

I have one as is pictured on line as the quality of it is very nice, better than is on my tractor. As indicated above they are 1 1/4". It is a good idea to spray the threads on the coupler, generator and extension pipe with zinc paint so the threads on the parts won't sieze.

There is another possibility in the short run and that is put on a 4-6" extension and put a can over the top when it won't be used long term. A small can like tomato paste comes in works nicely.

I don't trust the long pipes with a "hoodie" bend in them. On the rare occasion I have to leave my backhoe outside over night I put a can over the top of the stack. A qt V8 can is what it needs as that pipe is 3+" in diameter.

Also you could get a 1 1/4" pipe cap, screw it on the threads and remove it for starting and this will prevent moisture from atmosphere from entering down in the engine

If you want to make a long exhaust run you can get 1 1/4" sections of exhaust pipe that comes in ten foot sticks and is quite light. I was considering putting my 802 indoors (40X60 shop) and piping the exhaust outdoors and let the heat from the engine heat the building. Find a muffler shop with a pipe bender that custom fabricates dual exhaust systems and you can get the 10ft sections from them.

As soon as I can I know a tarp shop in Ohio that does very nice work with vinyl covered fiberglass that will last for years out in the weather. I am going to get them to make me a cover to slide down and completely protect the exterior cabinet of my 802a.

Last edited:

Ratch

I don't think backpressure would be much of an issue. The 4-cyl engines use the same 1.25" pipe.
Someone already said the simple solution; get a 1-1/4 joint and 6" pipe, and a $10 flapper from tractor supply, and forget about it.

M1031CMT

This is on the MEP-002 but it will work on your 802A as well.

I got the flapper at a farm supply store for like $8.

generator_exhaust.jpg

Works well. Keeps the rain/critters out.

steelypip

After doing a little quick math I decided that 1" ID was plenty big enough for a 16 HP diesel engine, my solution was to stick a small tractor muffler for something like a 20HP Kubota in the 1-1/4" elbow with a stack flapper on top when running my MEP-002A. The muffler slides out and lays down on top of the set when I tarp it over in between runs. The muffler and flap were off the shelf at Tractor Supply.

The muffler does quiet things a little (though not much), gets the exhaust up above the level of my head, and acts as a rain shield for the exhaust pipe when the set is in the running configuration but shut down. I generally only run it as needed to cool down the fridge/freezers and manage climate control or big electrical loads, so it can get rained on for hours in between run cycles during an extended outage.

steelypip

I started to walk out to get your picture tonight and realized it's a bit harsher than I'd thought: dark, 5 F, not calm, and about a foot of snow around the generator. I declared a strategic advance to the rear and will reengage when the environment is more favorable.

Humpy

Apparently there is no quieting down a 002/003. I saw a 003 with a very nice manifold set up and exhaust directed into a very large muffler for a 18 wheeler. I called the guy and he said after all that work it only quieted it down a few DBs. He said when he was in the military they dug big holes or sandbagged around them so the noise would be directed straight up. Read somewhere where a guy stacked cement blocks around his and that helped with noise.

On my MEP017 I installed a car muffler for a 4 cylinder car on the end of the military muffler outlet and I estimate it only dropped 2 dbs. Placing hand over outlet I can tell the pressure coming out is about 1/6th of what came out the issue muffler and the whole thing is just loud loud loud still.

Found out a plastic 1 1/4" cap will fit over the threads of a 1 1/4" pipe extension and would be a nice snug fit to keep humidity from getting into exhaust. I got this idea from a Onan collector (he had 15 of them last I saw his collection) and even though they are in his basement nice, dry and warm he keeps rags packed in muffler outlets to keep humidity from coming in the "backdoor".

I had decided I would get screw on caps had I found a 002/003 to protect it but a 802 came up first. The plastic cap will sit right on the outlet but not let the cover close so you know it is in place.

It is overkill but I have a steel Scott air pack bottle that was cut in half and it will sit over the top of the flapper cap assembly and should stop anything from getting inside exhaust system. Thought I would use it should they announce a new incoming ice storm (like they did last year) and I would pull the trailer outside and have it ready to go with a two 60 watt light bulbs inside (plugged to extension cord coming into house) cabinet to keep the engine/fuel tank warm prior to the power failure. This based on the theory a warm diesel is a happy diesel and much easier to wake up.

Overdrive

802A Exhaust flap/cover repro & alternatives question

In the spirit of Steel Soldiers and search before you ask, I am reviving an older thread to see if anyone ever found a replacement exhaust flap, made one, or developed an alternative.

Based on the replies in this thread I know the exhaust outlet is just an 1-1/4 NPT pipe thread and you could get an extension, angles, tractor supply flapper and be done. However, I was wondering if anyone has fabricated their own similar to stock. The stock unit is made from VERY thin aluminum and based on pictures, looks doable to fab up a replacement. My 802A has the base piece that bolts to the gen and still has the two flanges that fold over the flapper part which is why I was contemplating making a new one.

Thanks for any assistance.

OD
1033564_6465_162_0001.jpg

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am working on a design that will remove the flap and raise am aluminum top that covers the exhaust and radiator outlet. I am not sure if it will be one or two pieces yet. I will use a 24v actuator to raise it when you prime. I made a two plate system for drash units to keep crap out of the air intakes and exhaust since pine straw and bees get inside. I open them when priming the generator via actuators. I added a normally open switch that allows the unit to crank once the flaps open. I also build hoods that cover the 803 and 802 so that all exhaust air is contained under the hood and it has a screened outlet with sound insulation. I did a thread on it. I modified it so I no longer have to pipe the exhaust into the hood, I just made the hood longer to cover the exhaust outlet. I don't like getting rain, leaves and snow in the radiator air outlet either.

Last edited:

dependable

Hard head, going the extra mile and doing a good job as usual. Impressed by your very thorough enclosure build/improvement thread a while back.

Overdrive, one problem with the stock flap is water can wick under flap and into muffler output even with flap intact, this is especially true if snow or ice sits on top of generator. That is why a raised pipe, either turned down or with flapper, is a better solution. If you look at the picture I put in this thread, you'll notice the original flap in still there. But my 802 came from a large batch in MD that sat around with the DMRO or GL lot with snow on them for months, and a lot of the guys on this forum that got them from same batch had water in mufflers, and some had water in the motor itself. I was fortunate enoght to get one with little water in it, but learned from others' experiences here.

Flappers are a good solution, but have never owned one that did not start rattling at some point or another (tractors, chipper etc.), hence my preference for a turn down.

Overdrive

Thanks guys, good info... For a quick and dirty fix I ordered a 2" extension, female fitting, and a 1-1/4 tractor flapper to give enough clearance above the stock outlet for the flapper to work. I would still like to have the stock flapper for mobile operations since I have a trailer mounted 802A so if I cannot locate one may try to bend some thin sheet metal and reproduce the factory one.

dependable, the quick fix would still have the wicking problem. With the pieces I already ordered I could just add a length of pipe as previously posted off to the side with maybe a 45 degree fitting to angle exhaust down.

I will report back when I get the parts on Saturday on the quick fix setup.

Thank you

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks