• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802'a from the March 3rd Sale

bookpile

I'm picking mine up tomorrow at 8:30. I won one with an exhaust flap so I'm hopeful. Will report back.

oliveone

had a family issue at 1500 hours. Kids car broke down and had to give up my biding LOL. look at it that she saved me some cash. LOL. looking like some good prices. was some more on line for sale next week but they have been removed from the sight. Next time

10Lugger

had a family issue at 1500 hours. Kids car broke down and had to give up my biding LOL. look at it that she saved me some cash. LOL. looking like some good prices. was some more on line for sale next week but they have been removed from the sight. Next time

The facility is overwhelmed from all the individual sales. We could not get an appointment for pick-up this week. I bought a low priced parts unit for repairs (if needed). I studied every unit, and made meticulous notes on nearly every unit. It paid off. I was out pushing snow and the wife was bidding according to my preset cap limit. Having lucked out from the auction before, I decided to go again. Our goal was three (1 runner and 2 parts), but one (parts unit) is all that made it. The pictures are so telling, and I'm surprised at some of the prices.

10Lugger

Yes some prices went high. look at the coast of a new 8KW with fuel tank, open unit is over $5,000. you could get two used units for less then $2200 is not a bad deal.
Many new buyers of the 802s on this site. They are nice units. Good deals if you know what to look for.

Ratch

I don't know how the first batch was, but I got one from the 3/3 sale. It was a little messy, but seems to be recovering ok with lots of fluids and elbow grease. No start so far, though, suspect fuel system and don't want to try ether.
I previewed the current batch while picking up mine, I'd be happy to share my notes if you pm me your email address.

Last edited:

Ratch

Well, mine runs pretty good and makes power according to the meters. I haven't put a dvm on the lugs or loaded it, but I'm fairly confident in it.
One thing that is wrong; the convenience receptacle has no power, so I wasn't able to conveniently check frequency. The onboard gauge reads high when powered off, so I'm assuming its high when running.
It took a fair amount of work to get it going, but I'm impressed with how quiet it runs. I actually won't go as far as saying "quiet", but rather "less noisy". I had a conversation with my wife while standing about 2 feet from the control box. Not possible on the 002...
More to do...

Ratch

Btw, it wouldn't start initially because of fuel. The main pump wouldn't prime the dry system for some reason, but I swapped in the aux, primed the system, then plumbed the primary back in, and it was fine. Pretty odd.

bookpile

Ratch,

Glad you got it running. Did you check the little 10 amp circuit breaker on the back of the board? It is barely visible in this picture on the far left side. Circled in Red.

Travis

IMG_3461 - Copy.jpg

CDR

Well looks like I didn't do so good on my first had the main fuel pump dead like Ratch I went to swap fuel pumps and it wasn't on an auxiliary there. Having a 24V fuel pump in stock was key. and turning the dial on the dash only engages the glow plugs and never the starter motor. Dead Crank switch works good...

Is there some sort of safety keeping this from cranking from the dash.

CDR

Update starters switch has many broken wires on it try to fix some of them made absolutely no difference looks like it has a fusible link on the bottom as wellImageUploadedByTapatalk1395263517.995786.jpg

Ratch

Mine wouldn't crank initially either, but I had the reset the circuit breaker above the fuse, next to the output switch. I had nothing DC, though, no lighting, glow plugs, etc. It sounds like you found the issue. Check around for any worn wiring jackets that may have shorted against metal and blown that fusible link. I haven't looked, so I don't know where the link may be.
It's also possible you have a bad switch, and that's why the wires were broken out of it. Could be jump-able by just shorting the wires the switch would short when it's engaged.

CDR

Mine wouldn't crank initially either, but I had the reset the circuit breaker above the fuse, next to the output switch. I had nothing DC, though, no lighting, glow plugs, etc. It sounds like you found the issue. Check around for any worn wiring jackets that may have shorted against metal and blown that fusible link. I haven't looked, so I don't know where the link may be.
It's also possible you have a bad switch, and that's why the wires were broken out of it. Could be jump-able by just shorting the wires the switch would short when it's engaged.

I'm going to have to search even deeper I guess but what's interesting is the fuel shut solionod Is not moving either.

Looking at wiring diagrams I see there's a starter lock out as well

Ratch

I rolled mine out this morning after changing the chocolate milk oil, and tried to start it, and sure enough, my shutoff solenoid didn't pull in. I manually pulled it in, and the genset fired right up. I'll dig into it tonight, see if it's getting activation voltage, and if so, if I screwed it up when I had it apart for cleaning and inspection. Though it was working fine when I ran the engine the first time.