• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802A has lower than normal voltage, how can I correct this?

ECS

My "new" 802 with only 117 hours has lower than normal voltage.

Could someone please tell me how to correct this?

When I am Using the adjustment knob the Low setting has 180 volts (turned all the way counter-clockwise) ; Middle has 200 volts; Highest has 210 volts. This is set to run single phase 240 volts.

Frequency is set with the rpm to 60 Hz fine.

Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, no I didn't .. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks !
yup, first step is always verify where the issue is, because military gauges are mostly there just to give you an idea of what it's doing, and you only worry when it's different than you are used to.

The TMs for this unit are all here:

If the gauge is correct but voltage is low, I would look at the voltage regulator itself as being a possible issue.
Someone else can chime in if I am wrong, but in all of my working with generators I've never come across one that the voltage output was at about 80% of rated output where it was a failed gen head. Also very unlikely it's a bad wire connection, though I suppose that is possible as well.

Looking around, somewhere I read that there is also a voltage adjustment potentiometer inside the voltage regulator as well as the one on the control panel, and in one case that was the issue, fixed by using a little Deoxit in that potentiometer, letting it soak, and working it for a bit.
That was this thread:

If it comes down to replacing the voltage regulator (or you just want a spare on hand) in the classifieds section there are some replacement regulator setups being sold by kloppk.

Reactions: ECS

dav5

yup, first step is always verify where the issue is, because military gauges are mostly there just to give you an idea of what it's doing, and you only worry when it's different than you are used to.

The TMs for this unit are all here:

If the gauge is correct but voltage is low, I would look at the voltage regulator itself as being a possible issue.
Someone else can chime in if I am wrong, but in all of my working with generators I've never come across one that the voltage output was at about 80% of rated output where it was a failed gen head. Also very unlikely it's a bad wire connection, though I suppose that is possible as well.

Looking around, somewhere I read that there is also a voltage adjustment potentiometer inside the voltage regulator as well as the one on the control panel, and in one case that was the issue, fixed by using a little Deoxit in that potentiometer, letting it soak, and working it for a bit.
That was this thread:

If it comes down to replacing the voltage regulator (or you just want a spare on hand) in the classifieds section there are some replacement regulator setups being sold by kloppk.
Kurt's regulator are very high quality as is everything else he manufactures.

Ray70

IF both switches are set correctly ( 120/240 on the switch inside the control cube and the purple dot shown up above) and you are not reaching 240V on L1-L3 with the adjustment knob all the way up, take a look at your voltage regulator, if there is a 3/16" hole in the front cover, inside that hole is a potientiometer that you can turn a little bit to further adjust your voltage ( assuming the VR is working correctly )
Turn the pot. up a little, than dial the voltage in again with the switch on the control panel.
I have heard that not all regulators have the adjustment Pot accessible through a hole, but I do not know if you can access it by drilling out the rivets on the cover to access the internals.
Kurt might know.
If all else fails... replace the VR with Kurts'

ECS

What's the position of this switch (S6)?

View attachment 836077

To configure the voltage meter (M1) to measure 240 volts single phase, you'll want it on the position identified by the purple spot on the red arc in this picture.

I feel stupid .. that is what the issues was. Was running 3 phase.

I did check with the meter and the guarge is reading a little low, the the current is good.

Thanks everyone !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks