• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802A, need help identifying parts to address a couple of leaks

willys2point3

Hi, I need to address a couple of minor leaks on my 802A and I could use a little help:

1) Fuel banjo fitting weeps diesel where it attaches into the small "secondary" filter. It has no copper washers or other sealing mechanism that I can notice. Are there washers that should be on either side of the banjo fitting? What size? .

2) Injection pump on the block is seeping a little engine oil around its base. The "fork" that holds it down is as tight as I dare tighten it, but to no avail. Is there a seal/washer of any sort under that may need replacing? If not, suggestions for resolving the leak? I could just try some permatex, but I'd prefer to fix it right.

willys2point3

Yes I do, good call :). 5kw MEP802 TQG Eng9-2815-252-24P, Figure 4 appears to show what I need?
Part #4 is listed as a 'shim' for the injection pump. Not sure that qualifies as a gasket or seal, but I don't see anything else there that looks like it would contribute to sealing the pump against the block?
part #9 looks like exactly what I need for the banjo fitting!

Guyfang

Staff member
The shim deals with how high or deep the IP is in the engine. The oil pressure in this set is not real high, if I remember right. Its not normally a problem with seepage there. Are you sure its oil? And not maybe fuel and dirt?

willys2point3

I'm certain it is oil. They were leaking fuel when I got the unit, but I resolved that by refurbishing the little "manifold" and replacing the short hoses going to the pumps. That did require loosening and removing the retaining forks on the pumps to gain access, but I didn't remove the pumps (and thus didn't notice what was underneath). The oil leak was not apparent until recently when I had to run the unit for about 4 hours during an actual power outage.

So basically I introduced new leaks while fixing old ones.

Guyfang

Staff member
Does the fork look bent? Or is the washer on top of the fork missing? Is the oil coming out around the barrel of the IP? Or where the fork stud goes into the block? I have never seen one leak from there. The shims should not have a function here, in keeping oil on the inside of the engine instead of seeping out around the IP. . Or if they did, they would have to be damaged.

Ray70

The shims under the metering pumps are used to set the timing of the pumps as well as seal the pump to the block.
Typically you will find a shim pack of 2 or 3 ( black or green ) plastic shins under each pump, ranging in thickness from .003" to .010" each.
If there are no shims at all, that would indicate someone has removed the pump and forgot to replace the shims.
If the shims are still there its possible you have some dirt or debris in there causing the shim to not sit perfectly flat and leak.
Try cleaning the area around the pump with brake cleaner then start it up and watch closely to be sure the oil is coming from the pump and not from a nearby pushrod tube.
If you end up needing shims I have extras I can spare.

willys2point3

Thanks! I believe the oil is coming out from the base of the pump where the shim should be, but I'll have to do a closer inspection to be sure. I also need to check if there are actually shims under there on my unit. If they are there, they are not visible as it sits with the pumps tightened in place.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks! I believe the oil is coming out from the base of the pump where the shim should be, but I'll have to do a closer inspection to be sure. I also need to check if there are actually shims under there on my unit. If they are there, they are not visible as it sits with the pumps tightened in place.
It is NOT unusual to find them missing.

willys2point3

I took a closer look yesterday, there are in fact shims under the pumps, looks like a single black shim. I'm also thinking maybe it is not sealing because some gunk probably got under there while I was working on the fuel lines and had the pump retaining forks removed.

I found a vendor online selling the seals/washers for the fuel banjo, ordering those to hopefully resolve that issue. They also sell shim packs, but I think I'll hold off on that until I determine if what I have can be cleaned up and made not to leak.

willys2point3

Followup, thanks for the help here. I got the copper washers for the banjo fitting (super expensive though!), and resolved that leak. The injector pump oil leak seems to have subsided as well after loosing the retaining fork, doing a little cleaning and wiping down, then re-torquing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks