• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a stops suddenly video- suggestions moving forward

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Afternoon,

Here is an 802a that is starting and suddenly stopping after a few seconds. Attached is a video for reference.
I am posting for advice/suggestions from experienced members - on which of the (7) corrective actions I should begin with (as per the -24 TM manual/ 2-16). Maybe save an old man a few steps.

Perhaps there is a remedy that is more prevalent than the others.

(Note: The radiator hose WAS disconnected - because I was comparing the fuel rack action thru the governor body plug, pertaining to previous units issues. The hose has since been attached)

- Fault lamp test - all lamps passed
- Fresh tank of diesel
- No fault lamps illuminated on the fault monitor after it shuts down
- All gauges make power while the set is on
- The fuel solenoid is engaging when the unit starts / and staying engaged in the on position after shutting off

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Hi Leonardo, the only good explanation is that it's running itself out of fuel. Even though the fuel tank is full, the fuel supply isn't keeping up with the demand. It would suggest a restriction in the fuel system. I would start with replacing both fuel filters and go from there. With the cover off of the fuel tank you can turn S1 to the run position and while the electric lift pump is running you should see a steady stream of fuel returning to the tank. Just remove the line from the top of the fitting and point it to a small container of some sort.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Leonardo, the only good explanation is that it's running itself out of fuel. Even though the fuel tank is full, the fuel supply isn't keeping up with the demand. It would suggest a restriction in the fuel system. I would start with replacing both fuel filters and go from there. With the cover off of the fuel tank you can turn S1 to the run position and while the electric lift pump is running you should see a steady stream of fuel returning to the tank. Just remove the line from the top of the fitting and point it to a small container of some sort.
Okay got it, thank you very much.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, no diesel is coming out from that hose at all.
When I turn S1 to prime & run
OR while it’s briefly running- not even a drip.
does that mean I need to start replacing the fuel lines (Return line and (2) hoses to pumps)
Or could the fuel block be somewhere else in the system?
Thank you .

Attachments

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem could be trash in the tank getting sucked up by the pickup tube or anything from the pickup tube all the way thru to the fuel return line.
Just work your way thru the fuel system either cracking fittings or disconnecting fittings and see if there is reasonable fuel flow from the primary fuel pump.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah go with filters and clean out the prefilter on the pump if present. Water seperator too. After all thats done, prime the pump and disconnect at the end of the hard fuel line and see if you are getting fuel into the return system.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah go with filters and clean out the prefilter on the pump if present. Water seperator too. After all thats done, prime the pump and disconnect at the end of the hard fuel line and see if you are getting fuel into the return system.
Okay, got it . thank you’ll . I’ll update when completed .

jamawieb

I would start by turning the master switch to prime and run. Then crack the bleeder screw on top of the smaller fuel filter, that is connected to the copper hard line going to the pumps. If you have fuel pumping out, you know its getting there. Then follow the cooper line until it reaches the soft return line, can be seen in your video. Take the soft line off and fuel should spray out of the copper hard line in a small stream. The stream should almost hit the radiator, it sprays far. I've had a couple of units where the tip (that connects to the return line) would get clogged and do the exact same thing. It is for sure a fuel delivery issue. Something simple.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by turning the master switch to prime and run. Then crack the bleeder screw on top of the smaller fuel filter, that is connected to the copper hard line going to the pumps. If you have fuel pumping out, you know its getting there. Then follow the cooper line until it reaches the soft return line, can be seen in your video. Take the soft line off and fuel should spray out of the copper hard line in a small stream. The stream should almost hit the radiator, it sprays far. I've had a couple of units where the tip (that connects to the return line) would get clogged and do the exact same thing. It is for sure a fuel delivery issue. Something simple.
Okay, I will definitely go thru that process along with new filters. Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks