• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 fuel filler rubber gasket

smokem joe

Just thought I'd let the group know about a fix I found today for the fuel fill rubber that seems to be rotted on some of these. A fernco fitting, 4" cast iron to 4" copper, works perfect to replace these. Probably won't find this one in the box stores, but it can be picked up at any plumbing supply house.

Bmxenbrett

Are you talking about the canister fuel filter? Every time i buy fuel filters they come with new gaskets. Both the spin on and canister.

OpS. Fuel FILLER.. can you take pictures of what your talking about?

smokem joe

I didn't use the metal band part, but the rubber on this works perfectly to connect the fuel filler neck to the tank. I've had three units that the rubber was crumbling on lately and this makes a perfect replacement in stock locally.

smokem joe

Not real sure. It doesn't really get wet with diesel. It is more of a dust and dirt gasket. The filler neck fits down inside the tank so the metal on the filler neck shoots the fuel past where this rubber goes. It is certainly better than nothing, which is how I got one unit in recently.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the FERNCO website, the fittings are made from PVC. Their chemical resistance chart does not include Diesel, but they marked Kerosene as "not recommended". Since this coupling does not hold any pressure, I don't think it will be an issue. I cut up the leftover piece I had from my coupling, and put the pieces in a mason jar with diesel. I will report back if anything unusual happens.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the FERNCO website, the fittings are made from PVC. Their chemical resistance chart does not include Diesel, but they marked Kerosene as "not recommended". Since this coupling does not hold any pressure, I don't think it will be an issue. I cut up the leftover piece I had from my coupling, and put the pieces in a mason jar with diesel. I will report back if anything unusual happens.
Here is an update on my Fernco diesel soak test. I placed the remnants of my Fernco coupling trimming in a jar of diesel on 18 March 2018. I just found the jar, while looking for some other items in my shop. These parts have been submerged in diesel for almost 6 month. The plastic has hardened to the same hardness of PVC pipe, but have not become brittle. I could not bend the parts by hand, but could bend them with pliers. The parts did bend with pliers, but did not break. I suspect the diesel is leaching the plasticizers out of the PVC. I will let the rest soak and will check again later to see what happens.

Guyfang

Staff member
Not real sure. It doesn't really get wet with diesel. It is more of a dust and dirt gasket. The filler neck fits down inside the tank so the metal on the filler neck shoots the fuel past where this rubber goes. It is certainly better than nothing, which is how I got one unit in recently.
Got to kinda disagree here. It depends on where your gen set is. If it's planted on a concrete pad, no, it's not going to get diesel on the rubber coupling. But in the milatary, EVERYTHING, is supposed to be deployable. When a gen set is mounted on a trailer, rolling down a bad road, or trail, (this was my final test to any trailer mounted set after working on the fuel tank and attached components) will soon let you know when you have a leak. And the practice of Filling the tank till its full up to the cap, often kept this part not just wet, but soaked, for months on end. JP-8 tended to quickly make all rubber parts get brittle. The Army tends to train very often, and long. In places that are very challenging. Then comes deployments. So what I am saying is this. If your unit is trailer mounted, it might pay to install a better quality part. Pad mounted, you might get away with something of a less quality, IF you don't over fill the tank and leave it over full for months, or years(?) over full.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the virus going around, I am finding plenty of time to work in my shop, and ran across this test I started on 18 March 2018. This is a final update of my Fernco diesel soak test. These parts have been submerged in diesel for almost 25 month. The final results are the same as in my last update . The plastic has hardened to the same hardness of PVC pipe, but has not become brittle. I could bend the parts with pliers, but they did not break.

For those that are curious about Silicone hoses, I also tested those. All references I could find state, Silicone is not compatible with Diesel. That is an automatic challenge for me, so I dropped some 3/8" reinforced Silicone hose into the jar about 2 month ago. Interesting result - the hose swelled up to 1/2" in size, but still had the same texture and feel as before. Definitely a no-go for Diesel.

Now if I could just find a substitute for the 802 radiator hoses!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the virus going around, I am finding plenty of time to work in my shop, and ran across this test I started on 18 March 2018. This is a final update of my Fernco diesel soak test. These parts have been submerged in diesel for almost 25 month. The final results are the same as in my last update . The plastic has hardened to the same hardness of PVC pipe, but has not become brittle. I could bend the parts with pliers, but they did not break.

For those that are curious about Silicone hoses, I also tested those. All references I could find state, Silicone is not compatible with Diesel. That is an automatic challenge for me, so I dropped some 3/8" reinforced Silicone hose into the jar about 2 month ago. Interesting result - the hose swelled up to 1/2" in size, but still had the same texture and feel as before. Definitely a no-go for Diesel.

Now if I could just find a substitute for the 802 radiator hoses!
I know this is an older post (bumped for the Fernco info) but hoses are available in the classifieds readily. Or at least till the batch I ran runs out, doubtful I will run again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks