• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

-803A Fuel Filler Screen

CT-Mike

So the filler neck screen on my -803A is all varnished up so it takes forever for the fuel to drain into the tank.

What is is the best method to remove the varnish without damaging the mesh?

Thanks.

Chainbreaker

Is the screen removable? If so, here is what I did - One of my tanks brass filler screens & cage was all gummed up and would even hold diesel if I pulled it up. With screen & its cage taken out of tank, I tried mineral spirits and that did not do much. I then tried acetone, by sitting cage in a discarded but clean plastic cottage cheese tub and poured enough acetone in to cover the mesh. Came back an hour later and it was all dissolved. However, don't do what I did next...I let it sit some more in the acetone (more is better, or so I thought...) & then went on to do something else & forgot about it for the night. I came back the next morning and all the acetone had evaporated and the dissolved black gunk in the bottom of tub was now hard and brittle like epoxy and stuck to bottom of cage rim and glued to bottom of plastic tub. I had to pry it loose and chip off the epoxified gunk and then retreat with acetone again and then remove while still wet. All cleaned up now!

CT-Mike

Is the screen removable? If so, here is what I did - One of my tanks brass filler screens & cage was all gummed up and would even hold diesel if I pulled it up. With screen & its cage taken out of tank, I tried mineral spirits and that did not do much. I then tried acetone, by sitting cage in a discarded but clean plastic cottage cheese tub and poured enough acetone in to cover the mesh. Came back an hour later and it was all dissolved. However, don't do what I did next...I let it sit some more in the acetone (more is better, or so I thought...) & then went on to do something else & forgot about it for the night. I came back the next morning and all the acetone had evaporated and the dissolved black gunk in the bottom of tub was now hard and brittle like epoxy and stuck to bottom of cage rim and glued to bottom of plastic tub. I had to pry it loose and chip off the epoxified gunk and then retreat with acetone again and then remove while still wet. All cleaned up now!
The screen is not removable from the filler neck, but the entire filler neck is removable. Thanks for the tip, I will soak it acetone.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So thankful for this post!! This was one of my recently discovered "need to fix" issues. Think I'm going to try the Gumout first - and if that doesn't do it, then the acetone soak. I've had mine for exactly a year and never had this issue before, so it sounds like it might become part of my semi-annual PM.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since I can't attach a picture to a private message, thought I would post it up here. Clarification for all in the future.. 802 and 803 (and surely many other sizes) use the same fuel filler drop in neck. Tan unit is from an 803. Green from an 802 :)

IMG_20180114_144624_216.jpg

pjwest03

I usually go with what the old timers around these parts call "carburetor soup." Either some baking soda or some acid (lemon juice, distilled vinegar) and water. One may work slightly better than the other depending on what metals are involved. Put the disassembled carb or other nasty varnished up parts in a pan, probably not one that your significant other is fond of. Cover with your solution of choice and bring it to a soft boil for 30-45 minutes. After that, get rid of the mess and boil it for another 30 minutes in clean water. It's best to keep rubber/plastic parts away from the acid version but the baking soda method doesn't seem to harm them. You will get a bit of a white powder on things but that cleans up reasonably well. The acid version may also remove thin anodizing from aluminum if you over do it.

Guyfang

Staff member
The water here is simply liquid stone. If I don't watch out, I have to buy a coffee makes every year. So I use vinegar. It works on varnish pretty good too. My wife, the knowing better champion of the world, mixes the vinegar with water. I don't. I just keep an eye on it.