• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803A governor?

Waterhouse

I just bought a MEP803A. Checked all fluids and hooked some batteries up. Started it up. It ran kind of rough at first and then smoothed out, but seemed to be running fast. The volts were around 240, but the he was pegged at 65. I did plug a hand grinder in the curtesy receptacle and it worked. The big adjustment knob on the left side had no effect. I switched it off and it ran for a bit before shutting down.

Im thinking there’s some kind of governor that is not working. Anybody that can point me in the right direction would be a saint.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that cable you turned (frequency adjustment)... follow it back through the machine to where it interfaces with the engine. When you turn the knob... do you see that assembly rotate at all? There are two set screws there, which would hit that rotating piece... can you take a picture of this area? Pictures worth a thousand words and all...

jamawieb

Need to get the manual and read the procedures. The frequency adjustment knob that I assume you're referring to is the throttle which controls hertz. You need to get the hertz down to around 61. That knob controls it but the stop bolts may be adjusted improperly so check those. Follow the cable from the knob to the motor and you will see the adjustments.

Waterhouse

Ok, I followed the cable back to the throttle. It appears to be hooked good. I adjusted it in and out and it does move the throttle. There are two stop bolts. They are tight with lock nuts. I guess my next step would be to loosen the idle side and take it out some?

pic of 10KW with 5KW in backround. (It runs great)

DA7C63A0-2084-4C24-A2E6-63B4FE6065D5.jpeg

Pic of cable set up

B0798F5A-CA9D-4025-8F60-AB554E9034B2.jpeg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if that item rotates... does your engine speed or hertz change? It should. Where its set now should be lower hertz, and if the lower edge is touching that longer bolt... it should be higher hertz.

Waterhouse

Where it is right now runs fast. If I rotate it to go faster, it moves the cable, but has no effect on the speed. I think the engine maybe in partial “runaway”.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so if you rotate it and it speeds up, try turning the set off and undoing the jamb nut on that back screw and let it move backwards more. It does sound like your governor is out of adjustment, but it should be a good test to see if you can back that limiting screw out and slow it down.

Waterhouse

OK so if you rotate it and it speeds up, try turning the set off and undoing the jamb nut on that back screw and let it move backwards more. It does sound like your governor is out of adjustment, but it should be a good test to see if you can back that limiting screw out and slow it down.
No, it doesn’t go faster when I rotate it. But I suppose with no load it is already to fast. I will try backing the screw/bolt out tomorrow. (It’s dark)

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

STOP
Do not mess with thread locked bolts right away.

First step is to have a hand held meter to check your true power and hertz.
The next step is to loosen the collar of your throttle cable for you to turn it counter clockwise to slow the engine down. After all kinds of other stuff to check and look at. Then, maybe, mess with the thread locked bolts. That is not the first place you start

Especially because you know the operation of a MEPS generator. The throttle control linkage is the same as your MEP-802A

Guyfang

Staff member
Listen to daybreak. STOP. There are several thing to check first, before you start to fiddle with Factory settings.

And have you downloaded the TM's? Its always better to read first, then do. Saves lots of money. Also, it helps you know what each part is, by a name we can all understand.

Waterhouse

Well, I didn’t see the last two posts till now. I backed the screws of some and the hz went to about 62-63. If I turn the adjustment knob , nothing happens To hz. The cable is moving the plate. I have several issues with this genset. The switch that closes the main relay doesn’t work. (No power at the outputs) The panel gauge says 240 volts and the volt adjustment works) Also, my oil pressure is only 30 psi.

Whereis the TM you’re talking about.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I didn’t see the last two posts till now. I backed the screws of some and the hz went to about 62-63. If I turn the adjustment knob , nothing happens To hz. The cable is moving the plate. I have several issues with this genset. The switch that closes the main relay doesn’t work. (You are assuming the switch will not work. The switch may not be the problem at all.) (No power at the outputs) The panel gauge says 240 volts and the volt adjustment works) (The Meter tells you what the set will produce. The fact that you have no voltage is because the K1 will not close. So its in effect "Not a problem". Its proof that your gen set will make power. Be glad!) Also, my oil pressure is only 30 psi. (So whats wrong with 30 PSI?)

Whereis the TM you’re talking about.
Open to see comments.

Guyfang

Staff member
When I click on that stuff, it brings up a box that says “do you want to download”. I click yes and it disappears. Nothing else happens.
Is this the place you looked? All you have to do is click on the links and they down load. Or did for me. I will "improve" this TM thread. Its is too complicated. BUT, everything you need is there. Yes it says MEP-802A. There is for all intents and purposes no difference between the gen sets in the trouble shooting.

Waterhouse

Is this the place you looked? All you have to do is click on the links and they down load. Or did for me. I will "improve" this TM thread. Its is too complicated. BUT, everything you need is there. Yes it says MEP-802A. There is for all intents and purposes no difference between the gen sets in the trouble shooting.

Yes, I guess I need to do it on a different computer. (I’m using a IPad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks