• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803A on 3 phase

smokem joe

I am sure this information is out there someplace. I haven't found it yet though. Does anyone know for sure when on 208V are they producing on wye or delta? Reason I am asking is I have several of the 3 ton heat/ac units and am thinking about using a phase convertor to power one for supplemental shop heat at times off my single phase 240 street power. I'd have to step down from 240 to 208 with the convertor unless the 3 ton unit will run on 240V. I know we have a couple people here who are well versed in this sort of thing. 3 phase is above my pay grade!

Scoobyshep

Short answer Wye

unless there is some weird buck boost transformer 208 is a wye system and 240 is a delta system (except the high leg, thats 208 to ground).

Most devices will run 208 or 240 just fine, be sure to check the nameplate and or manufacturers instructions to confirm.

The more in depth answer: In a wye configured system, each leg is 120 to ground and 208 leg to leg
in a typical delta (open or closed) leg to leg is 240, 2 legs to ground are 120 and the 3rd is 208 to ground

smokem joe

Short answer Wye

unless there is some weird buck boost transformer 208 is a wye system and 240 is a delta system (except the high leg, thats 208 to ground).

Most devices will run 208 or 240 just fine, be sure to check the nameplate and or manufacturers instructions to confirm.

The more in depth answer: In a wye configured system, each leg is 120 to ground and 208 leg to leg
in a typical delta (open or closed) leg to leg is 240, 2 legs to ground are 120 and the 3rd is 208 to ground

Going to attempt to run 3 ton military AC/heat unit for some heat in the shop. The nameplates on those aren't really helpful in that respect. I think the heating elements would have no issue. Not sure about the motor for the fan and any controls though.

smokem joe

I can get a phase convertor local here pretty cheap that will 240v single to 208v wye. Just wanted to make sure it would work. I may also look at losing some of the heating elements and hooking up to 240v single phase, but I'd probably have to change the fan motor to make that work.

Scoobyshep

Going to attempt to run 3 ton military AC/heat unit for some heat in the shop. The nameplates on those aren't really helpful in that respect. I think the heating elements would have no issue. Not sure about the motor for the fan and any controls though.
Usually not. Running heaters is a bit less efficient due to a lower voltage, motors will pull a bit more current (not much) but 98% of the time they will be happy. In the almost 30 years I have been doing electrical, I can count on one hand the times equipment has not been happy on 208 when made for 240.

Guyfang

Staff member
If its a Military gen set, and a Military heater, why would in not work? Gen set in three phase, Heater in three phase. Dont over think this. The only way you can screw this up is to not have the phasing right. Most heaters have a safety circuit that will not allow you to run the heater, (or air con) when the phasing is wrong. Hook up L1 to L1 and so on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks