• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a sustained load in high heat.

Gameboynws

What is a safe max sustained load in hot ambient weather climate?

I have mine powering 3 RV’s ( AC’s running) at the Kentucky State fair. So far my max load is about 85%. Coolant temp about 190-200° still 40psi oil pressure (full syn 5w40).

right know it’s 85° ambient temp, but the high temp next week is forecasted to be about 95-100°. I do have 2 high velocity fans running to help with removing excess heat from the inside my trailer.

IMG_9075.jpeg
IMG_9074.jpeg
IMG_9055.jpeg

Guyfang

Staff member
Normal Operating Temperature 170-200 °F (77-93 °C)

Trip Temperature 225 °F ±5 °F (107 °C ±3 °C)

A coolant high temperature switch provides automatic shut down in the event that coolant temperature exceeds
225 ±5 °F (107 ±3 °C) .

Do not leave any door open, other then the control panel door. The set is supposed top run, with all doors closed to properly cool itself.

The Operators TM is you friend.

Gameboynws

Don't rely on those gauges...get a temp gun and check the thermostat housing...they aren't very accurate...it has over temp cut off if I remember right so if they do actually get to hot they'll shut down.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
If I can make it off the fairgrounds during normal business hours, there is an O’Reillys close by to buy an infrared temp gun. Didn’t think to bring my other one from home.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can make it off the fairgrounds during normal business hours, there is an O’Reillys close by to buy an infrared temp gun. Didn’t think to bring my other one from home.
Good to have one with you just in case...the other people on this thread are way more qualified than I am on these too. So whatever they say works.

Gameboynws

To give an update / ending to my story.

generator ran for 270 indicated hours and used approx 200 gallons of diesel (0.75g/hr). We were primitive camping at the Kentucky State Fair, (carnies get the actual camper spots). Two 50 amp campers & one 30amp camper was plugged into the generator, 5 AC’s in use. Power consumption during the day varied between 75-90%, pending on ambient temp.
According to my o’riely’s non contact temp gun the oil filter’s max temp was 205-207°. I tried to measure at the water thermostat housing, but couldn’t get consistent results. 7 of the 12 days the high daily temp was over 90°+, and one day maxed at 100°. The low temp never went below 70°.

The good old mep803a IS worth is wait in gold as far as I’m concerned. 5 smaller gen sets died & one was stollen.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice report.

Any more detail on the smaller gens that died? Did they belong to people in your group? Were they 3600 rpm open frame generators? How did they die?

Gameboynws

Nice report.

Any more detail on the smaller gens that died? Did they belong to people in your group? Were they 3600 rpm open frame generators? How did they die?
3 open frame portable & 2 internal Cummins/onan 4 & 5.5kw. All gasoline powered & 3600 rpm’s. My honest guess is that the carbon brushes failed. Engines would run but not produce any power.

I personally had to have my internal Cummins/onan 5.5kw gas generator’s brushes replaced after 1,300 engine hours. I also had two portable gen sets die of the same reason. My family has been staying in a camper at the Kentucky state fair every year since 2015.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We went through 2 open frame generators here at home during an ice storm that took out power for about 10 days. Engines failed on both. Both brand new.

I've not had one of the military units fail mechanically. I've had them spring fuel leaks but thats the worst that has happened.

One of the 802s I adopted out earlier this year has been run over 800 hrs since they picked it up. They called me out for what they thought was an engine failure because it ran so bad and was smoking like crazy but it turned out to be a loose fastener on a injection pump. Retorque a nut and back in business.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To give an update / ending to my story.

generator ran for 270 indicated hours and used approx 200 gallons of diesel (0.75g/hr). We were primitive camping at the Kentucky State Fair, (carnies get the actual camper spots). Two 50 amp campers & one 30amp camper was plugged into the generator, 5 AC’s in use. Power consumption during the day varied between 75-90%, pending on ambient temp.
According to my o’riely’s non contact temp gun the oil filter’s max temp was 205-207°. I tried to measure at the water thermostat housing, but couldn’t get consistent results. 7 of the 12 days the high daily temp was over 90°+, and one day maxed at 100°. The low temp never went below 70°.

The good old mep803a IS worth is wait in gold as far as I’m concerned. 5 smaller gen sets died & one was stollen.
Glad it worked out great!! Sounds like a fun time!

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about those numbers and realized what a tremendous amount of power you generated.

At those load levels, 200 gallons burned would have generated 1700-1800 kWh of electricity in ~11 days of runtime. That is over 2 months worth of electricity for an average house in my area! :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks