• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 series coolant flush procedure?

CapHap

Hey guys. I've been searching on here a few hours and have went through two TM's (which is difficult with very slow Internet) and can't find the complete procedure to drain and refill the coolant on my m818. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again guys. I'm trying to learn how to read these manuals.....

I have a M939 series truck that has the same engine. I would also love to know the proper procedure for flushing the coolant system. A step by step break down of the process would be great.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's in here.

BTW, it's much better to have the TMs saved on your computer. That way, you can open them and search them by word. Also having a series of manuals listed in a folder is much less daunting than looking at the complete list of manuals(all versions/series).

It took a couple minutes for me to look for this info, copy the page, make it a picture, and post it here.

You too can do this with a little practice.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
doghead you pointed us in the right direction for draining but no procedure for flushing and cleaning. The TM states to follow the directions on the "cooling compound kit" which turns out to be 6850-00-598-7328 (Compound, Cleaning With Conditioner and Inhibitor for Engine Cooling Systems

(MIL-C-10597). If you look that up you find it consists of this
Package, Consisting of:eaa. Cleaner, Part 1, Oxalic Acid.b. Cleaner, Part 2, Aluminum Chloride.c. Sodium Silicate Conditioner.d. Alkaline Conditioner.e. Inhibitor.f. Instruction Sheet.12Compound, Cleaning P-C-435A12.1OCompound, Corrosion Preventive (MIL-C-62218A)(05238) (P/N 2085B)12.2OCompound, Corrosion Preventive (FSCM 45152)(OTC P/N 1388330), 8 oz can.
From my haz-mat past I can tell you there is some stuff in there that can go wacky really fast. Plus I searched all over and can not find the kit or the instruction for it.

Anybody know what the procedure is for flushing or have the instructions that came with the kit?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They asked for the proceedure, not the material.

Just use locally available flush (AutoZone, NAPA whatever).

Or, some guys use vinegar. Or CLR calcium lime rust remover.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used muratic acid. But you must be careful, and triple rinse the system before adding antifreeze. Remember, you are flushing a 42 QT system, and it takes a lot of stuff to clean the junk out. I had the insides of the hoses clogging up the thermostat, and the coolant looked like rubber water(black as sin), and smelled just as bad.......

sed6

I have a M939 series truck that has the same engine. I would also love to know the proper procedure for flushing the coolant system. A step by step break down of the process would be great.
Up from the dead. I'm looking for this too. The TM is misleading and it doesn't discuss how to flush, only fill and drain, and not very well at that. For the 855 engine it basically says drain from the petcock and refill from the overflow tank. I'm sure there's a line or two that can (or even needs to) be removed to burp the system and speed the process up.

I want to install a flush tee in one of the lines and hook that to my garden hose. Where could I put such a tee? I'd also like to find an appropriate hose and remove it so the system can drain. Which hose could I pull?

Csm Davis

Okay only my opinion but will fit the most trucks from the military. Some will say it doesn't work this way but I have scrapped a lot of trucks and probably 75% of them had a separation of the antifreeze and water and the lower radiator hose had rusty muddy like crud come out of the engine and radiator. If it is going to stay in my stable I would pull all of the hoses and wash out everything. And if it looks bad enough I would even take the sides off of the radiator. I didn't know that the antifreeze would separate from the water but I have seen it with my own eyes and believe that is why we have so many problems with the trucks cooling systems.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found on the 809 series there were two burp petcocks on the motor and only bringing up the level to the top of the expansion tank would it expell all the air.
I only found one burp plug on the 939 series 250 Cummins motor and that was a plug on the top right side of the radiator and I did not have to over fill the expansion tank to burp it.

Last edited:

sed6

Screenshots_2015-06-24-00-01-26.jpgScreenshots_2015-06-23-23-49-53.jpgI did some more searching last night and couldn't find much. I did find a few engine TM's with some exploded diagrams. Maybe these pics will help if someone with more knowledge than I wants to explain the flush process.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 566665View attachment 566666I did some more searching last night and couldn't find much. I did find a few engine TM's with some exploded diagrams. Maybe these pics will help if someone with more knowledge than I wants to explain the flush process.
Thanks and do believe if someone can change the hot tub water they should be able to flush a block. As said above the main thing would be get a coolant filter.