• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 series trucks vs 939 series

kstate90

Our Rural Fire District currently has 3 809 series trucks. Two were tractors and one was a dump truck that we converted to fire trucks. The Forestry Service is starting to get some 939 series trucks in. In talking to them they feel like the 900 series trucks are a higher maintenance vehicle and have more problems. I know about the abs problems they had and some of those issues but what other problems do I need to be aware of. The automatics would be nice. The super singles would be great too. The best part I think is the air brakes.

Bighurt

If there was a perfect truck, everybody would be out of business...

People complain about Chevy, Dodge and Ford...and nobody complains about the good things.

No such thing as a perfect truck...unless we are discussing M920's M920A1...LOL

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M939 series trucks are much more complex mechanically and, as such, they could potentially have many more problems. Personally, I prefer the M939 series trucks as I believe they out-perform the older M809 series trucks. With that said...and there is always a caveat...if I had to have a truck perform under tough conditions, I would ALWAYS choose an M809 series truck over the M939 series truck (if both trucks are in the same condition). An example...the M939 series trucks have much more complex air systems due to the air brakes. There are something like 14 or 17 separate valves on the air system and they can get stuck/fail. It is troublesome to say the least to track down such issues. I am not saying it can't be done. In fact, this is what I deal with...especially on trucks that sit for extended periods of time. I am not trying to steer you away from the M939 series trucks. On the contrary, as I said, I prefer them. You just need to know what you are getting into. I don't even own an M809 series truck right now...only M939 series trucks or bigger.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exploding transfer case issue would certainly be a concern to a fire crew. Knowing that in a life or death situation, if you are in low range, and you have to back out in a hurry, you WILL explode the transfer if you do not shift to high range. That may be hard to remember if you are about to be overridden by a brush fire.

kstate90

Thanks for the replies. This is what I wanted to hear. I have not been around the 900 series trucks but I thought some of the features were better on them but by the way it sounds the 809 series trucks would work better for what we do with them. We have alot of different drivers and not all of them are as mechanically inclined as others. I am afraid that some of the issues with the 900 series may get them or us in trouble. It would be different if we drove these trucks on a regular basis but our trucks sit most of the time and other than training days and fires are not driven.