• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 sieries pwr steering slobber

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
other than too much fluid is there any reason I would have pwr steering fluid pumping out of the vent hole on my M816? The fluid level seems fine when checked. However the truck is pumping quite a bit out of the vent. The steering is working fine.

thank you in advance.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On some of these they don't like to be run at the level that is on the sitck. Don't add any and see if it stops and just run at that level. If it does stop just remark the dipstick and that is your new full level.:)

R Racing

Mine leaked at the vent in my gearbox.Normaly when there cold you will just see them in the sight glass. Just keep an eye out on it because they can fool ya. lol.

Autocar

I've had an M813 and M818 and both of them did the same thing. When the oil level falls to just about the base of the fill neck(where it connects to the round pump body), it stops spitting oil. I just run it there and it seems to be ok.

03silverado

You may also want to replace your power steering fluid if some one had put anything other than power steering or hydraulic oil (engine oil will foam really bad) in the system it could be foaming up and causing your leak

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the proper procedure for draining, flushing and refilling the 809 power steering system. I can't seem to find the steps within the TM's.

03silverado

Im not sure as to the proper procedure but I would unhook the return line from the power steering pump and place it in a jug start the truck and have one person turn the wheel back and forth while you pour new power steering fluid in the resovior once the return line appears to be pumping new fluid, turn off the engine annd reconnect the return line to the pump.[thumbzup] start the truck again have one person turn the wheel back and forth while you add fluid to the cold mark. I would suggest driving the truck a couple miles so the fluid gets hot then check the fluid with the engine running and top off if neccessary

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"What is the proper procedure for draining, flushing and refilling the 809 power steering system. I can't seem to find the steps within the TM's."

Im not sure as to the proper procedure but I would unhook the return line from the power steering pump and place it in a jug start the truck and have one person turn the wheel back and forth while you pour new power steering fluid in the resovior once the return line appears to be pumping new fluid, turn off the engine annd reconnect the return line to the pump.[thumbzup] start the truck again have one person turn the wheel back and forth while you add fluid to the cold mark. I would suggest driving the truck a couple miles so the fluid gets hot then check the fluid with the engine running and top off if neccessary
I think you will BURN up a pump doing it this way because it is a recirculating system, you will NOT pump a lot out before the pump is DRY.

In order to drain and flush the system, the following needs to be done
1--Remove the lines from the right steer cylinder, remove rod end from right steer arm, work rod totally both directions, this clears the cylinder,
2--THEN remove the gear box ends of the cylinder lines, blow air though, this clears these lines,
3--THEN remove the pump lines from the gear box blow air though all 4 ports while turning the steering wheel (helps to be jacked up)
4--THEN drain the pump ( turning the motor makes it easy BUT DO NOT START)
5--WHEN you are all done making a MESS, connect the lines, reinstall the cylinder rod, fill the pump, let sit, refill, let sit, on and on till the pump stays full, then turn the motor over (DO NOT START) while turning the steering wheel lock to lock, keep a eye on the pump, fill as needed, till it stays full ( do not let it suck air) NOW start and run, LOOK for LEAKS while turning lock to lock, the pump should stay full
ONE more thing, DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE JACKS

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like something I did with another Hyd. I was working on.
The only thing I did different was when the piston was at one end I cracked that line till the fluid came out then closed line and used the pressure to push that ram to the outher side. Then with the piston on the outher end now cracked that line and changed the direction of pressure till she spit a bit then tighten down the line. Had to work it cock to cock a couple of times and it's never given me any trouble.
Don't know if you have to do it here.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
James,
That will work if replacing a cylinder, with a EMPTY system, you need to get the gear box valves, the pump full, thats why turning the steering wheel while filling helps, that opens the valves, allowing the oil to flow, it just takes time

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
other than too much fluid is there any reason I would have pwr steering fluid pumping out of the vent hole on my M816? The fluid level seems fine when checked. However the truck is pumping quite a bit out of the vent. The steering is working fine.
thank you in advance.
Could be DRAWING air (bad pump seal), this will cause this, with the oil HOT, motor running, look in the fill tube to see what the oil doing and looks like, then go from there

My 819 does the same thing, to fix is so FAR down on my to do list, I may get to it some day

03silverado

I had to replace my steel lines that run from the box to the ram due to them being rusted through when I installed the new lines I bent up I simply connected them to the box and the ram filled the resovoir with power steering fluid from the local napa, started the truck and had the wifey turn the wheels lock to lock while I filled the resivor once it was close to the dipstik we took the truck for a spin made lots of turning to make sure it was right and then checked the fluid when we came back and added as necessary :grd: