• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

813 alternator same as M35A2?

91W350

My 71 is not charging. We have a 813 with a huge hole in the block. At first glance, the alternators look the same, just on different mounting brackets. Do any of you guys with experience know for sure if they interchange? Thanks! Glen

DUECE-COUPE

they are the same, there are mainly 2 kinds of alternators for m35a2 and m818 trucks. the first has a regulator that is removable by way of 6 screws on the end of the alternator, this one is the one you really want. if you have the other, you are still ok, but you can not rebuild it your self, the one with the regulator at the end is refurbish-able at user level, just change the brushes and the regulator, and you are back up. do not forget to adjust the voltage after you restore it.. there is a allen head screw plug near the wire lead screw. remove it and use a small flat tip screwdriver to adjust the voltage to the recommended level by the gauge. have a help let you know when you are on the money, so you don't have to keep climbing into the truck to check your progress.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to look at the part numbers for the pulleys and spacers. I recall at least 2 people having belt issues on deuces, and they swapped pulleys to correct the issue. I believe they used or assumed the alts had come off 5 ton trucks. (could have been multi fuels?)

Last edited: