• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

813 elect. prob

Barneyszoo

Need some help with the lights on my 5 ton. Lets start with a little history, on the way home from recovery the battery shifted and shorted on the step. That blew the temp gauge out of the dash, blew out all the light bulbs and stalled the truck. After a few min. the truck started and ran fine the rest of the way home. I have changed all lights, temp, fuel and volt gauges and everything has been working great. I was driving it tonight and the head lights flashed and went out, tryed the high beams and one worked on high, but it also blew the tail and break lights but not the frount blinkers. Does anyone know if something else could have been dammaged when the battery shorted. I thought I had everything replaced and working. thanks for any help I don't know alot about the elect. system on this truck.

Rene M

My guess is there is now some bare wire that got the insulation cooked off and has power and ground shorting out. i would look at the light switch it self.
Just a guess.

whyme

had a problem with headlights blowing on an old jeep, ended up the voltage regulator. prob more likely a short as suggested above but keep that in mind if you cant find a short.

Barneyszoo

well I looked I think everywhere for a short, didn't see any sign of a burnt wire or anything like that. Replaced the three lever switch with the one from my deuce, I don't want to put new bulbs in just to have them blow again because I haven't found anything. What does that black box on the engine side of the firewall do? I have a spair one of those should I swap it out? I heard the voltage reg could hve been dammaged when the battery arked.

Barneyszoo

Thanks for the responce, I have a better understanding of that box now. I like being a part of the MV hobbie, I don't know alot about some of the stuff. But I do lone out my trucks to people that use them to get donations for things like the Wounded Worrier Project. So thanks for the help to get them to whair they can be seen to bring some good.

kastein

I would also bet on the regulator being a little wonky after the incident, it is very hard to burn out light bulbs by shorting out their power supply temporarily but it is very easy to burn them out by supplying them with even a few volts too much as the amount of light produced goes up as a cube function of the voltage. On the other hand regulators do NOT like being shorted out and can break and regulate at too high a voltage if so abused... which would then overvolt the lamps.

Barneyszoo

Thanks for all the help, took the alt appart today It's all burnt inside not just the reg but the whole thing. Will get some pix posted. Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks