• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 Crane hydraulic lines

catskillpond

Boom cylinder lift line burst today wire rotted out at fitting figured to repl.ace all four they do the brunt of the work. Went to napa they wanted $85.oo for a 1 inch line 30 inches long looked at the surplus center catalog they were about $ 30.00 i will have to use a connector to go from pipe to jic on one end. these hoses have a working pressure of 3500lbs to 12,000 burst.
Can anyone advise if these will hold up cut the old one in half these were 2 wire also.

Thanks Scott

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic hose are not a good place to cut corners . Find a Parker Hose dealer near you and get the correct hoses

Hydraulic hoses will fail if there is a weak spot. On oil rigs, we tried a cheaper brand of hoses and fittings. We started having hydraulic failures frequently. It was determined to be cost effective to buy better hoses and fittings up front. Also, cheaper brands have poor crimps, which is where these cheaper hoses usually fail.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
search on here and your find there is a place up north that has those. i priced a 6ft on for around 55.00 plus shipping. razor bought all of his from there. this summer i plan on replacing some more of my hoses too

RAYZER

I bought 7 1" hydraulic hoses from surplus center, they were less than half the cost of having them made.
I'm happy with the Quality, hose material made in USA.
Good service and fast shipping from surplus center!

catskillpond

Thanks one of my neighbors got some lines from surplus last year on his excavator pc 300 with a hammer he said no problems after a year. Yep the ole 816 always has a surprise waiting after you tackle one problem the next one is waiting for you the wrecker came out Ft drum I dont think any of the motorpools owned a grease gun came home tonight and figured clean up the back end and the rollers for the winch, couldn't turn them put the grease to them after digging out the grease fittings on top and water started pouring out of the grease fittings on the bottom anyone take one apart Ill have to pull up parts tm Thanks for the replies

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter

tobyS

The lines you have got water in them and rusted. Throw them out and replace. If you want new ones to last, keep water from getting in the ends around the crimp (or reusable fittings). One size smaller hose will slow you down, but would work and give full lifting force. Note pressure ratings go down as size goes up on most hose.

Droppedadeuce

Surplus center sells good hose very cheap! I replaced all my lines on my dynahoe, and forklift for less than $350, 4 years ago with zero problems. Napa hose came apart in 4 days on the 19' 5,000lb backhoe dipper...

catskillpond

put new hoses from surplus very well made crimped all the way to the rubber exercised crane after install then put 5000 lbs on and no leaks or burst hoses the male ends seated to the original swivel fittings did not have to use the couplings on the return lines used them on the lift side.

tobyS

put new hoses from surplus very well made crimped all the way to the rubber exercised crane after install then put 5000 lbs on and no leaks or burst hoses the male ends seated to the original swivel fittings did not have to use the couplings on the return lines used them on the lift side.

Good...then it's fixed...but for safety....

You should have a pressure operated check valve on the boom lift port that would prevent the crane from coming down if a line breaks. If you do not, you should get one. It would appear as a block at the bottom (boom up) port, mounted directly on the cylinder(s).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks