• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 Dimensions

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M816 rode on a 48 foot stepdeck from MS to AL.

The stack may have to be removed.

They weigh 36K pounds so the tractor and trailer have to be light.

Loading and unloading can be a challenge if the truck doesn't run.

bearboley

Thanks for the reply. I pick it up on Mon. the 13th at Redstone my next question is do they have a dock and some way to push or pull it around. I live 500 miles away and Have a RGN and a 48 foot stepdeck but no ramps for the stepdeck. The stepdeck is lighter and I get better fuel milage with it but don't want to show up and can't get it on there. Thanks

fasttruck

Measure it. Has to be reduced to 10.5 feet to make maximum height. Mloved one last year for a customer and had to retract 2ea flashing lights mounted on adjjustable stanchions to clear bridges. Obviously your only going to get one on at a time.

Truckoholic

According to this websites specs of the M816 M816 Specs - Spunky's Motor Pool
the tallest part is the stack, and even that is only 9 feet 6 inches tall. The legal height in most states is 13 feet 6 inches. Some it is 14 feet. So even in the states where you can only go 13 feet 6 inches tall, that allows for a deck height of 4 feet, or 48 inches. So a step deck which is usually between 36 and 40 inches high, should be no problem for you at all. A regular flatbed would not work at all being 60 inches tall giving you a total height of 14' 6". Your M816 might be a little shorter when it gets to it's destination:p

But yeah, if you hire a RGN, they are probably gonna want to charge you more money since it is a specialty trailer. I used to own a nice one but sold it a few years ago.

Also, typically a truck with an aluminum stepdeck trailer, can legally haul 48,000 pounds. So the 36,129 pound M816 won't be a problem at all.

Last edited:

highsiera

right now the loading dock @redstone is out of commission. if/when you make arrangements to pick up or load out, they may recommend the rgn. if you decide on the step deck, the have a big cat loader they'll mash it on to your trailer with..... or hire a wrecker svc to lift each end up.
this is my personal experience talking (06.02.11 pickup), and I found out last minute.

long and short, bring the RGN . or spend the day running around trying to make other arrangements.

BT

Truckoholic

right now the loading dock @redstone is out of commission. if/when you make arrangements to pick up or load out, they may recommend the rgn. if you decide on the step deck, the have a big cat loader they'll mash it on to your trailer with..... or hire a wrecker svc to lift each end up.
this is my personal experience talking (06.02.11 pickup), and I found out last minute.

long and short, bring the RGN . or spend the day running around trying to make other arrangements.

BT

That is a very good point! RGN does not need a loading dock of any kind, while the stepdeck does!

highsiera

try unloading an m817 with a Yukon and a snatch block from a step deck... that'll make yer but pucker... hats off to my hauler Ray, smooth as glass. In all seriousness, if you're planning on picking up a non running truck from redstone this month, plan on not having a dock to load with. the GL folks there are pleasant, but the can't levitate 30000 lbs of green iron.

bearboley

Thanks for all the replies. No dock at Redstone I will just take the RGN, I don't need a dock or a loader I can use the semi tractor to pull the wrecker on, you get good traction with that neck hanging on there. Glad to know it will fit on the stepdeck for future reference. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks