• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 hydraulic fluid

bugei

has anyone refilled their 816 or 819's hydraulic tanks lately? what did you use?

i had to drain mine to fix some leaks, now its off the the petroleum store. but i am not sure exactly what to put in

thanx

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i see that in a old post.. i though it was just hyd oil.. still 10w but not engine oil. lets hope some nice member knows for sure :-D

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I used CAT 10W Hydro...provided by our very own AMG:-D
I think the "correct" fluid though is the 10W motor oil as JT/ANDY said.
I just sortta thought the hydro oil MAY be better for seals etc.

bugei

wayne,

i did look at the lo, and the called out oil does not seem to be around exactly as specified. when you trace the oil that is called out, it does come back to being very high grade motor oil, sortof. it is OE/HD10 which appears to be CF-2 according to the cross references. which takes you in big circles

i figured i would see what others were running with good results.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't know anything about military wreckers, I have been around alot of hyd systems. I good quality 10w hyd oil should be fine. Alot of the older systems did call for 10w engine oil. The problem with using engine oil is the correct oil is hard to find these days. I do know that if you run detergent engine oil (which is what most engine oil is these days) in hyd systems it can cause problems.

123mack

The hydraulic oil in my M816 as it came from the Florida National Guard is red. I've seen red hydraulic fluid in commercial applications, so apparently this is what the military is using. I'm going to look around for a match and I'll report back what I find out.

emr

Many brand new and older Excavators use 10 wt motor oil instead of hydrolic oil, other equipment also, U really have the option of using either, as for the military useing one because one was seen, is to quick to judge, they use both, I have seen both, I have 5 gal cans of mil 10 wt motor oil and 5 gal cans of mil hydrolic oil also, 25 a can NNJ...as for detergent oil causeing a problem it only will if it is an old dirty situation, because it will break all the dirt free, if useing a detergent U will just need to change it soon to check out how much it cleaned it, if clean fil it again and go, all detergent oil does is break dirt free, that is all, is there is a filter in line then detergent is a no brainer, but things with no filters are not supposed to have detergent oils,

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as for detergent oil causeing a problem it only will if it is an old dirty situation, because it will break all the dirt free, if useing a detergent U will just need to change it soon to check out how much it cleaned it, if clean fil it again and go, all detergent oil does is break dirt free, that is all, is there is a filter in line then detergent is a no brainer, but things with no filters are not supposed to have detergent oils,
I have no idea if this is true or not but I've also been told that detergent oils are more apt to foam in hyd systems. Have you heard about this?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hydraulic oil in my M816 as it came from the Florida National Guard is red. I've seen red hydraulic fluid in commercial applications, so apparently this is what the military is using. I'm going to look around for a match and I'll report back what I find out.
I have seen people use ATF in the place of hyd oil. Wonder if the red oil could be ATF?

Barneyszoo

hyd fluid usely has stuff in it to keep it from foaming up and putting air into the system, but both should work but prob don't want to mix them if there still some in the system use that one or get it all out and start from scratch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks