• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 vs 936A2

Crash_AF

Anyone have any advice/input on the relative drawbacks/advantages between the two?

If it helps, the 816 runs and drives and the 936 is a project... I'm having some difficulty deciding if I want to modernize or not.

Later,
Joe

area52

Depends on price, location(how far each is from home), parts availability on the 936.

I've heard that the bed on the 936 is way better than the bed on the 816.

Me personally, I would go for the 936 just cause I have a 816 already.

halftrack

Having owned both, I would chose the 936 hands down over the M816. HOWEVER, this is strictly from a coolness and more modern truck factor. The M936A2 (I have a thread on it) I am putting back together right now is a female dog of trying to find parts for. NO ONE who deals with your typical surplus vehicle parts will have parts for it espacially the A2 variant. I am having to find the actural manufactures of individual parts and calling them direct to find things like a u-joint and half the time they do not sell to individuals. The wiring on the M936's is a nightmare also. They're are more wires in a M936A2 then the stealth fighter (joking of course but theres a lot). My M816 was simple and reliable and parts are plentiful. The PTO setup on the M936 is TOTALLY different then the M816 also. While the PTOs on the M816 was transmission / shaft driven, the M936 is Transmission and transfer case hydraulic driven (the PTO that was missing off my transfer case alone was $800 and I still can't find the yoke for it).

Being an automatic and having air brakes is a big plus also in my book but that is because in LA I do not need to get a CDL to drive it (you may want to check your state regs on that one).

To recap, the M816 was a great truck and will do the same job as the M936, but having an automatic, air brakes, bigger cab, and CTIS w/ 8.3 cummins motor is a big plus in my book.

I am sure Bruce Kubu will chime in and agree with me. He could comment on the performance he having owned both.

Last edited:

M1075

The M936A2 is clearly a superior choice over the M816. But you might need to consider your intended application for the wrecker. Most of the time, my M816 is used around the yard as a crane. I could use a M543 multifuel wrecker and be happy. I have towed vehicles up to 60,000# with my M816 and have been satisfied with its performance, but my operating area doens't involve highway travel either. If you expect a lot of use on the highways, I would lean towards the M936A2, but for yard/local use, the M816 would be a better value for you.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recommend that you get involved with an M936A2 project vehicle. "Project" makes it sounds like it needs a lot. I've been down that road with an M925A2 project that started out as a $3000 truck; I now have $33K in it. I am serious. I paid $6,500 for the motor alone. A2 parts are hard to come by and are EXPENSIVE. You might search for weeks for a certain part only to find you have to pay retail and that is if you can find it. I am eagerly awaiting updates from Chris S. on his M925A2 project but sudder each time I read the posts because I know what he will be going through. I will not go that route again unless the truck is very close to complete. The motors, for example, are like hen's teeth unless you want to use a high mileage civilian motor. There are a lot of parts on these trucks that are not on the other M939 variants. Tread carefully...that is my best advice. If you only want a wrecker, go with the M816. If money is not really an object, I'd recommend an M936A2 every day of the week.

Crash_AF

Well, it's kind of a 'grass is greener' type of thing and I'm trying to get some objective feedback on it. I own the 816 already, have driven it on two trips over 50 miles one way and that's all I'd be willing to do with it in the future because it is slow and underpowered. While I don't have any intention of driving it on trips very often, the ability to take it outside of the metro area without planning the ENTIRE day and night around it would be nice.

Later,
Joe

M1075

With your elevation in C Springs, maybe the turbo on the M926A2 would be even more beneficial? I know Madsam has reported about significant power loss on the NHC-250 up in those Rockies.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact D-MAN on this list. He has an M925A2 and lives in CO. Maybe, you could meet up with him to see what kind of power his truck has at your elevation. I'd hate to see you pour money into an M936A2 only to find that the increase in power is marginal. I was thinking about the additional power provided by the NHC250 when I was considering an M543A2 vs. an M816. I was told before I bought a truck that even the NHC250 seems underpowered in a wrecker. As you know as well as anyone, a wrecker is a lot of truck to be driving around. It is basically a 5 ton cargo that runs around fully loaded all of the time.

It sounds like you want a challenge and are not afraid of investing money into this truck...go for the M936A2. You already know the parts are hard to find and are expensive. What is the worst that could happen? You end up with a few grand more in it than you expected...but you still are one of the few people that have an A2 wrecker.

halftrack

I would have to agree with Bruce. After spending what I did to get mine, knowing what I know now, I would of probably spent another 5k to get it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks