• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 on 16x20 singles, what trailers?

98hd

I'm still trying to gather the parts to get my 818 reliable, but I'm starting to think about trailers.

Does anyone know what trailers will work w/o issues with the big 52" singles? I know I've seen pics of a members truck towing an M270a1, but those are few and far between and expensive.

So anyone have an idea of what hits and what fits?

Attachments

jwaller

146's hit big time. I have pulled lots of commercial 53's and they all clear. seems that the short sones are out unless you limit your turns. long ones seem to be good.

98hd

Re: RE: 818 on 16x20 singles, what trailers?

jwaller said:
146's hit big time. I have pulled lots of commercial 53's and they all clear. seems that the short sones are out unless you limit your turns. long ones seem to be good.
I'd consider a commercial, but the typical box style trailer would sit really high in the front wouldn't it?

I know where there is an M295 chassis I was thinking about (Think M313 trailer), but it seems short on the distance to the bend in the frame/landing gear.

BTW: Your truck is the one I was thinking of w/ the M270A1, I love seeing pics of your M818

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: 818 on 16x20 singles, what trailers?

ya. commercial trailers do sit high in the front. I just barely missed taking out a bride on friday. I was pulling a 53' and I came upon a 14' 4" bride and I was 14' 6". I was doing 70mph and by the time I slid to a smoking stop I was 3 ft from hitting the bride. truck was under it but the trailer hadn't gotten there yet.

you also gotta remember that the 818 in stock form has a high fifth wheel plate and with the 1600's your at least a foot higher than a std OTR truck.

I dont think a m127 will work either bc the gear is towards the fron
t of it too. I'm not familiar with the 295 but a simple measurement would tell.

this is another reason I have the converter dolly. I use it a lot of the time to pull the trailers with short gears. it's funny to see a tractor pulling a dolly pulling a trailer. I don't like using it on the long ones bc it's tendency to sway but on the 28's and 30's it does great. it's kinda nice too bc it gives you another set of brakes to help stop the load.

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Re: RE: 818 on 16x20 singles, what trailers?

Man sweet looking tractor, what about the M127s with 11r20s or larger tires, ive seen lots of tractors in the army with 14s and bigger towing them but not sure if they rub or not. Whats the largest tire can you fit on a M127, cause they go pretty cheap sometimes.

98hd

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 818 on 16x20 singles, what trailers?

MilitaryRestoration said:
do all the tires follow same path then?
They don't tract perfectly, but they are pretty close. If you do a search there has been alot of discussion on using these wheels, and some go more in depth on the track offset.

The 900 series single wheels have too much offset and will rub, so I'm told. The Hemmt beadlock wheels will work, but are a little more expensive and I've been told have a little less offset than the ones I am using. As far as rubbing in the front goes, these are the best choice it seems.

jwaller

I run the 900 combat wheels on my rig. they do rub a bit in the front at full lock but all you have to do is adjust the steering stops.

I did start out with hemmt rims but wanted something tubeless and ringless and
I didnt like how the hemmt rims put the front tires outside the fenders and with these tires it throws a lot of crap up on the truck.

the 900's do seem to all track the same. maybe not exact but close enough for anything I'll need.

Attachments

jwaller

it's up to you. I drive my truck a lot. several thousand miles per month and I got tired of the hemmt wheels. those that dont drive a lot could prob do just fine with them. I did like how they didnt hit when full lock was applied. you do get a better turning radius I suppose.

I am also a bit partial to the look of the combat wheels and if ever a tire needs to be serviced I think the combat wheels are easier to work on.

Rattlehead

How about moving the 5th wheel back some to help with clearances? I am considering it on mine, there's room on the angle iron mounting surface to do so. Awhile back I crunched some numbers on front axle loading and it didn't seem to make a huge difference with a lighter (relatively) trailer. Also, the front winch seemed to help the case. I will have to recreate this and post it for scrutiny, I don't trust my math 100%.

98hd

Rattlehead said:
How about moving the 5th wheel back some to help with clearances? I am considering it on mine, there's room on the angle iron mounting surface to do so. Awhile back I crunched some numbers on front axle loading and it didn't seem to make a huge difference with a lighter (relatively) trailer. Also, the front winch seemed to help the case. I will have to recreate this and post it for scrutiny, I don't trust my math 100%.
I'd be interested in that. The only thing is I don't know how much room there is on the 818 to move it back, and really, can you move it back enough clear some of the closer trailers?

jwaller

well I too thought about it a long time ago but I need the ramps to help get under trailers bc of the huge height the truck has. and if you move the plate back to have to mod the ramps and I dont want to do that bc you start down a road of changing things and I want it to look original. I also have been able to do everything I want with the truck just the way it is. you just have to think about things a little more before you do it.

fwiw I pulled a 30' east down trailer today and the landing gear on it was waaaay back. much further back than anything else I have hauled. had so much clearance it way funny.

m.walker

Trailers

The M127 works , I haven't tried my M750 yet but it looks like it would have enough room too ! You do have to notch the feet on the landing gear . Mine were already done by the military . The pin is awfully far forward on the M750 is why I think it will work , and the landing gear is pretty far back , when time permits later I'll check . Mark

Attachments

98hd

m.walker: That M750 looks like it is the M295 trailer chassis. I would be very interested to see if it fits on your tractor w/ the 16x20's.

I take it the M127 gets really close if the feet rub when not clearanced.

Nice trucks by the way!!

Rattlehead

jwaller said:
well I too thought about it a long time ago but I need the ramps to help get under trailers bc of the huge height the truck has. and if you move the plate back to have to mod the ramps and I dont want to do that bc you start down a road of changing things and I want it to look original.
How about blocking under the landing gear when you set it down? The first time with a trailer would be difficult. I was actually thinking on a trailer recovery that you could set the front of the trailer on the front bumper(assuming its a fairly light, unloaded trailer), retract the landing gear, then block it and raise it up higher. You are forever having to block it when you unload a trailer though.

jwaller

Rattlehead said:
jwaller said:
well I too thought about it a long time ago but I need the ramps to help get under trailers bc of the huge height the truck has. and if you move the plate back to have to mod the ramps and I dont want to do that bc you start down a road of changing things and I want it to look original.
How about blocking under the landing gear when you set it down? The first time with a trailer would be difficult. I was actually thinking on a trailer recovery that you could set the front of the trailer on the front bumper(assuming its a fairly light, unloaded trailer), retract the landing gear, then block it and raise it up higher. You are forever having to block it when you unload a trailer though.
blocking can be dangerous and I don't like it. it's not as stable and lots of bad things can happen. esp if your on a side slope of anything other than perfectly level.

one major problem with the truck being higher is dropping the trailer when your on a side slope. the thing wants to slide sideways once it comes out of the hitch until the legs hit. I've had them move about a foot at most and almost always 6 or so inches. same goes for getting under them on a slide slope but not as bad bc you can just go under with some speed and get r done.

the mil trailers are worse about it bc almost always the brakes dont work and arent locked down when you try and back under. the civy air brake jobs will at least try and stay put for you with the wheels being locked down.

blocking can be dangerous and I don't like it. it's not as stable and lots of bad things can happen. esp if your on a side slope of anything other than perfectly level.

one major problem with the truck being higher is dropping the trailer when your on a side slope. the thing wants to slide sideways once it comes out of the hitch until the legs hit. I've had them move about a foot at most and almost always 6 or so inches. same goes for getting under them on a slide slope but not as bad bc you can just go under with some speed and get r done.

the mil trailers are worse about it bc almost always the brakes dont work and arent locked down when you try and back under. the civy air brake jobs will at least try and stay put for you with the wheels being locked down.[/quote]

This is so true! the side slide is a very bad thing. I dont think i have any pics but the co i drive for have had them laying on there side from the side ways slide thing. and Rattlehead, I would not try setting a trailer on the front bumper without securing it somehow. Maybe you could use the winch to hold it from sliding off. I dont know.... sounds pretty wild. The speed that things fall will surprise you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks