• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84’ M1009 Glow plugs

CenterMass762

But I have seen the results of such modifications. I have had to slide hammer remove many glow plugs on engines that came to me with them already swollen. I have also had just the threaded base come out with nothing else anywhere in the precup or cylinder. Exploding and swelling glow plugs do happen is my experience.
I can't count the amount of swelled or broken glow plugs I've removed from CUCVs and HMMWVs. Easily over a hundred. The majority of HMMWV glow plug replacements I did were so swollen that they required the use of a tool to pry them out and and hope they didn't break off and drop into the darkness. Sometimes they did and it turned into a bad day.

cucvrus

Do not pry and risk dropping the tip of the glow plug into the combustion chamber. Simply attempt to remove the swollen glow plug. If it becomes risky you can remove the fuel delivery nozzle from the effected cylinder and use a curved jaw vise grip or a set of locking hemostats and attach that end to the swollen glow pug tip. Now have at it. Pry or slowly break off the glow plug. Use care. I have done hundreds this way. I have also removed inner fenders and steering column lower shafts to get in there and get the job done. Whatever it took to get them out. I bought a few from DRMO that had been code H for swollen plugs, and a few had the plugs hanging out the holes and required surgery to get them out. On one occasion I had a glow plug fail while driving and knock around in the cylinder a few revolutions and then just have the sound fade away. At the time I did not know what was happening and at 60 MPH in an M1028 that gets your attention. I continued on and went several hundred miles that day. The next morning, I experienced hard starting and pulled the glow plugs and found one with the threaded part only. That solved the strange noise mystery. Never hurt anything that I was aware of. probably was inside the muffler at that time. Good Luck. Be Careful and do you lube on tight/swollen glow plugs. Steady even pressure and extreme caution. Removing the nozzle is an easy task. Have a Great Day.

CenterMass762

Do not pry and risk dropping the tip of the glow plug into the combustion chamber. Simply attempt to remove the swollen glow plug. If it becomes risky you can remove the fuel delivery nozzle from the effected cylinder and use a curved jaw vise grip or a set of locking hemostats and attach that end to the swollen glow pug tip. Now have at it. Pry or slowly break off the glow plug. Use care. I have done hundreds this way. I have also removed inner fenders and steering column lower shafts to get in there and get the job done. Whatever it took to get them out. I bought a few from DRMO that had been code H for swollen plugs, and a few had the plugs hanging out the holes and required surgery to get them out. On one occasion I had a glow plug fail while driving and knock around in the cylinder a few revolutions and then just have the sound fade away. At the time I did not know what was happening and at 60 MPH in an M1028 that gets your attention. I continued on and went several hundred miles that day. The next morning, I experienced hard starting and pulled the glow plugs and found one with the threaded part only. That solved the strange noise mystery. Never hurt anything that I was aware of. probably was inside the muffler at that time. Good Luck. Be Careful and do you lube on tight/swollen glow plugs. Steady even pressure and extreme caution. Removing the nozzle is an easy task. Have a Great Day.
I had an 16" or so flathead screwdriver that I grinded a "U" notch out of the end to slip over the glow plug. Then I'd set up a wooden block or whatever as leverage, add a little lube, and pry it straight out. Time is of the essence when you have a grumpy shop Chief breathing down your neck and 25 minutes on the MAC. 🤣

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be that I have really fortunate with glow plugs both in the service and on my own MV. Each time I have encountered swollen plugs I have used an open ended wrench just smaller than the socket that fits the glow plug for pulling leverage and then attached needle nose vise grips to the glow plug and slowly threaded the heating element out of the head.

CenterMass762

It may be that I have really fortunate with glow plugs both in the service and on my own MV. Each time I have encountered swollen plugs I have used an open ended wrench just smaller than the socket that fits the glow plug for pulling leverage and then attached needle nose vise grips to the glow plug and slowly threaded the heating element out of the head.
Threading them out like that is about the best way to go about it as long as they're not swollen to the point of being split.

cucvrus

Like I said whatever it takes. Each swollen glow plugs may present its own challenge. Being careful and know how hard tom pry is the key to getting them out safely. Good Luck. All methods of removal are acceptable. As long as you are not just breaking them off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks