• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 1008 build.

linemech31

The less glamorous side of things here. Pulled the diff covers,cleaned magnets and service with fresh synthetic fluids. Right rear seal was leaking. Bearings were serviceable. Replaced all seals and gaskets with new.

Attachments

linemech31

I am going to put 400 horsepower in front of the rear end. But it looks like it will have no issues. If it blows up I will fix it and upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottG2005

The junk yard finally got my 454 out of the donor truck. Heres what i am starting with. I will post photos of the tear down. Going to sell the 6.2 to help offset the costs.
I was looking at the distributor cap there for a minute. It took me a minute to realize it was upside down lol

linemech31

how many miles are on that 454? i see allot of glazing in the cylinders
128k which is accurate. I looked at the truck it came out of. No sludge in the top end. Im not bummed out about it because i got a decent price. I was on the fence about doing a complete rebuild even before i found the issue. This just forces me to do the rebuild. Here are a couple more pics

Attachments

ScottG2005

No good comes of the cheapest way out in the long term.
A older gentleman told me once. Buy cheap get cheap. I went to the parts store the other day. Apperently since the last time I was in there they don't carry olive drab paint anymore. The one thing I'm gonna have trouble finding for my truck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A older gentleman told me once. Buy cheap get cheap. I went to the parts store the other day. Apperently since the last time I was in there they don't carry olive drab paint anymore. The one thing I'm gonna have trouble finding for my truck
Here is another spin on that. If you're buying the lifetime guarantee parts from the parts house, you are guaranteed a lifetime full of replacing them over and over.

cucvrus

Here is another spin on that. If you're buying the lifetime guarantee parts from the parts house, you are guaranteed a lifetime full of replacing them over and over.
Not true. I fact checked that. I buy lifetime warranted parts because I used to keep vehicles so long that the lifetime of the parts I replaced had lasted the lifetime and now the replacement part was free. I am talking everything. Tie rod ends, brakes, radiators, heater cores and all. In my business I tend to abuse and wear out parts at an abnormal rate. I chewed thru a full set of new brakes at Trucks Gone Wild in about 20 miles. The wet sand was that abrasive. I documented that and seen it with my own 2 eyes. Easy as take the parts back and another set of freebies. Normal maintenance after a weekend of mud running. Hard MUD running. Not slashing thru a puddle here and there. Same as steering stabilizers. I buy the best and if it leaks 1 drop of oil I get it replaced no questions asked. Now I am in the habit of only driving a vehicle as long as it has a factory warranty. Then replacing it. Put gas in it and done. CUCV's are a high maintenance vehicle by today's standards. Happy New Year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks