• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 lost power last night And now won't stay running

jeffro589

Ok so last night on my home I noticed a lack of power. I made it home ok but it was running rough. This morning started it up it was running a little rough but drove ok at first I was also getting whit smoke out the tailpipes. Made it about 15 miles had total loss of power couldn't make it over 25mph. So I pulled over let it cool down now it won't stay running also water in fuel light has been on for 3 days ( since I got the truck) I'm getting towed to work right now. I'm also an ass certified master tech In LD cars and trucks just not diesel so if I ask any stupid questions I apologize in advance. Thanks for the help

Also if I can keep it running on starting fluid so I am assuming a fuel issue just not very familiar with diesels

jdemaris

it won't stay running also water in fuel light has been on for 3 days
Water-in-fuel-light comes on when the filter is plugged, even if there is NO water present. I'm kind of wondering why you didn't change the filter when you saw the light on? Or, at least, purge the filter housing to make sure there was no water in there.

I carry spare fuel filters in all my diesels. It can save a lot of headaches when you're in the middle of nowhere and that light starts to blink on and off.

nk14zp

Water-in-fuel-light comes on when the filter is plugged, even if there is NO water present. I'm kind of wondering why you didn't change the filter when you saw the light on? Or, at least, purge the filter housing to make sure there was no water in there.

I carry spare fuel filters in all my diesels. It can save a lot of headaches when you're in the middle of nowhere and that light starts to blink on and off.
:ditto: On the spare filters.

jeffro589

Thanks I know that I was just looking for a quick way on the side of the road to narrow down the issue anybody have any idea what might be wrong

jeffro589

I was going to do all the flushes and filters but the first day I got it I busted my band at work and had to go get stitches so I'm kind of a gimp right now and I just put it off for a few days I also didn't know the water in fuel would come on when the filters clogged otherwise I probably would have Been mor concerned thanks guys I'll try a filter at work this afternoon I'll let you know

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a water in the filter light is on, you should NOT drive the vehicle until the problem is correct- severe damage can result. Either there is water in the fuel, the filter is clogged, or the sensor is bad.

A diesel does not like water.

DokWatson

jeffro589

No easy fix this time changes the fuel filter bled the system no more air bubbles coming out but it still won't run still feel like this is a fuel issue how do I test the injector pump?

ranchhopper

Did you use the proper procedure to bleed it such as taking the pink wire off the IP and opening the bleeder screw on the filter base until fuel came out while cranking. Not doubting your ability but numerous posters state they bled the system but didnt do it right and that being the reason for not starting.

ranchhopper

It might still be sucking air it might be worth a try to get a bit of fuel in a jar or can run a hose going into the back side of the IP and see if it will run any better it will eliminate air leaks if it runs good this way you will have to start replacing the rubber fuel lines.

jdemaris

Followed the procedure to a T it almost wants to start it will run for a few seconds and stall and for those few seconds it is real rough
The Stanadyne pump is self-bleeding. Cracking lines can make thing easier - but it will prime and start on its own. If it's starting and quitting, you've probably got a constant source of air coming into the suction line.

Get a small fuel tank, lay it on the hood, and hook it direct to the filter-housing - via gravity feed. If it then cleans up and runs good - you know you've got a air leak. I've had to get many 6.2 trucks running that way, via a 5 gallon outboard-motor tank and gravity hookup.

I've got a 91 diesel Suburban as a field-buggy that has a outboard motor tank in the back seat, with a long rubber hose hooked to the engine's fuel pump. Runs great that way, but won't when hooked to the OEM steel fuel line. It's got a pin-hole somewhere near the tank.

jeffro589

Alright I have good fuel at the lift pump going to the injector pump but no fuel coming out at the injectors I have 4 of the investor lines off the most that comes out is a little dribble of fuel any ideas?