• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

Ok that makes sense. I never have started an engine on a stand like this before. Maybe a few times on a floor cradle stand that was more stable. Thanks
Yep! It can be done! And for extra safety, you can hook the motor puller on the motor while it is on the stand for the test run. Just make sure the radiator is hooked up and coolant flowing.

2INSANE

I got off work early today and opened up my spare glow plug box and pulled the best used glow plugs out and then installed them on the Optimizer. Yep, G60s.

I checked the glow plug depth using a flashlight peeping threw the injector hole and made sure nothing was in there that should not be in there besides the glow plugs.

Next I refurbished the Optimizers rear top coolant port covers and bolts with a wire wheel on my drill and cleaned the motors surface and plate surface with brakekleen and a paper towel.

I put a very thin layer of blue RTV on the block surface coolant ports, installed felpro gaskets and added another thin layer of blue RTV on the gaskets and installed the plates hand tight with blue thread lock on the bolts. Also cleaned off the little excess of RTV with paper towel.

Attachments

2INSANE

Note:

The Optimizer has wide mouth precups which comes Standard on all Optimizers I believe which would allow a crap load more fuel if needed. But, I am not looking to build a short lived power wagon. My goal is no more then 10 psi boost. I will keep the wide mouth precups but keep fuel set for economy to help preserve motor life. It’s best to not have a gas station at the trailhead when I get there.

2INSANE

On Friday afternoon I sold a good bare 6.2 block, good 6.2 crank, cam, harmonic balancer and today I used that money to buy brand new Bosch 6.5 Injectors to mate with the 4911 pump. Made in Germany OEM from Accurate Diesel.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

I installed the Quadstar Oil Drain Plate. I am very impressed with how wide the drain tube is. I used a Felpro gasket with Optimum Black RTV on each side of the gasket.

Note: The bolts Quadstar gave for the Oil Drain Plate are not the right size or length. I had to go to Ace to get the correct ones because the Oem upper bolts were too long and the Oem lower bolts were too short.

Attachments

2INSANE

Next I installed the 6.2 driver side Water Temperature Sensor on the 6.5 Optimizer. I had to remove the plug with an Allen wrench, clean the threads on the block and sensor and added Optimum Black on the threads of the sensor. Used a 21mm wrench to tighten it.

On the passenger side I installed the 6.2 High Idle/Cold Start Sender Sensor after I removed the plug, cleaned the threads of old thread sealer, added Optimum Black on the threads and used a 23mm wrench to tighten it down.

Attachments

2INSANE

Next I bought a 600 watt block heater. I popped out the freeze plug and pulled it out with rat tooth vice grips. I used a wire brush attached to my drill and cleaned the port. Then I used a Scott’s pad and fine sanded it. Cleaned with brakekleen on a paper towel, took off the rubber seal and dunked it in coolant to help with getting a better seal and installed it.

Attachments

2INSANE

I grabbed the best looking driver side exhaust manifold from my plethora of parts and refurbished it. I wire wheeled it and blew off the outside and inside with compressed air. There was a lot of pitting on the manifold port ends so I decided to use the Spray A Gasket copper spray. 3 coats. Using brakekleen on a paper towel, I cleaned the exhaust ports as well on the motor. I refurbished the Exhaust Manifold Bolts and put anti seize on the ends. Torqued and installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

The threads on the 1/8 npt bung that was welded to a spare 6.5 oil pan was not tapered deep enough for my oil temperature sensor. I tapped it a little deeper and it now fits great!

Satisfied, I wire wheeled the used oil pan, cleaned it up in the kitchen sink with soap and water, let it dry off in the sun and sprayed a couple coats of Gloss Black Spray Paint

Attachments

2INSANE

I took off a crank shaft position sensor delete cap from a spare 6.5 timing cover and installed it on the Optimizers timing cover since it had nothing.

Also installed the injection pump gasket.

Attachments

2INSANE

The oil pump drive/vacuum pump gasket arrived. It was a pita to find. All the Auto Parts stores could not find it. After a lot of google searching, I found the part number and ordered it from Ebay.

For reference: Gm part number #14022649

So I installed the 6.2 Oil pump drive/vacuum pump on the 6.5 Optimizer. With this choice, it is clear I am going to run the V-Belt if everything fits right with the 6.5 turbo and Cucv dual alternators.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not have any issues bolting the twin alternators to the engine. Everything will line right up. Only thing I will recommend is to align the alternator and PS pump pulleys with the water pump pulley. Maybe a slight casting change after 35 years, but my néw alternators on my P400 were off approximately 1/8”. Easy fix with a spacer between the alternator pulley and fan. After you get the alternators aligned then align the PS pulley. I did a thread on this a few months back. I’ll try to look for a link when I get back to my computer on Monday.

2INSANE

You will not have any issues bolting the twin alternators to the engine. Everything will line right up. Only thing I will recommend is to align the alternator and PS pump pulleys with the water pump pulley. Maybe a slight casting change after 35 years, but my néw alternators on my P400 were off approximately 1/8”. Easy fix with a spacer between the alternator pulley and fan. After you get the alternators aligned then align the PS pulley. I did a thread on this a few months back. I’ll try to look for a link when I get back to my computer on Monday.
Great advice! Thanks! I bought a Flow Kooler Water pump that rotates clockwise and is said to flow 110gpm with the 16 blades. I’ll post that up when I install it. Fan choice is minimal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks