• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 M1009 overcharging rear battery and will not idle

sawgunner1

Those are great tips!

I coudn't find the spin-on filter conversion at China-Mart so, I'll be looking at the parts store. I will be taking both alternators to be checked, since that is on my "to do" list anyhow.

I'm off to cut down some trees. There were some big storms here last night and this morning. My 60 foot bucket truck is suddenly a hot item.

I will get on this this evening.

sawgunner1

Update #1

Well,

I finally got those trees cut and all the honey do list stuff accomplished and was able to spend about an hour on the Blazer this evening.

I put a bottle of Diesel Kleen and ten gallons of fresh fuel in her. Then, I replaced the fuel filter (this time with a stock one), bled the air until fuel runs out the clear drain hose and put a couple ounces of fuel in the intake.

Vroom!

She fired right up! :grin:

Unfortunately, it only ran at about 6000rpm's for about 10 to 15 seconds with LOTS of black/grey smoke and no unusual motor noise. After the 15 seconds, with the accelerator to the floor, it never got above an idle. At this pont there was very little smoke and what little there was looked normal. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it dies. It will re-start with no hesitation at all with the same slow idle result. Give it gas and...nothing, barely idles.

This is the exact same thing it did before the filter change and new fuel.

Any ideas?

BTW

Tomorrow the alternators come out to get checked.

beaubeau

You don't do any good putting Diesel in the intake. Gotta go through the injectors. That is where Black smoke is comming from . Could also bend a connecting rod if too much fuel . Crack the injector lines and bleed them. see if there is fuel comming out the last return line. Keep at it until you are sure good clean fuel is "HAPPENING"!

Crash_AF

Bleed the filter again and see what happens. Sounds like it's starving for fuel.

To rule out a mechanical problem, get a piece of hose long enough to reach the ground from the fuel pump and stick it in a can of clean diesel. Change out the filter again and bleed it again.

If it will run off of that, your problem is in the tank.

Later,
Joe

sawgunner1

I will try all.

I'm not bummed at all...I'm having a ball!

Getting time to work on it and learning as I go are part of the challenge.

These things are adictive. I have one in the woods behind the house and one out front. Now I'm thinking of adding a third.

Well, I guess I should get at least one of them road worthy first.

I'm still looking for a good mechanic in Knoxville who knows these engines and electrical systems. I want to learn all without destroying anything.

Wolf.Dose

Hey,
the generator problem at first. Did you measure the generator output? you easily can do it with a common Voltmeter at the batteriepoles of any of the two bateries, reading must be at least 12.8 Volts. If it is over 15 Volts, change regulator and diode plate. Due to experiance these are cheep made parts and a new regulator useually will not work with an used diode plate. It is not soe difficult to do it at home with a minimum of automotive chraftmanship.
Fuel: as said before, keep several fuel filters on hand. To me it sounds like debris in the filter which cloggs it. For interest of debris in the filter, cut them open and inspect them. If before Biodiesel was used and the vehicle was moved very littele like you said, pump drain the fuel tank and get ridge of the stuff!
Proper fuel return can also be checked, if you remove the return fuel line from the injection pum and crank the engine.
The most severe reason could be the braking of the linkage inside the injection pump or, if you are lucky, a missassemble of the linkage. This can normally be ajusted at home, if you risk to take the injection pump out and disassemble it.
Else, the valve opening cantact at the injection pump can be bad. This is due to a poor contact of the wire connected to the insolated contacr of the cover, This happens not so very often, but due to age the copper contact looses crimpng power and then we have the reason.
Wolf
16 years with an M1009
Good Luck!

Chief_919

You can fill the spin on filter with trans fluid it will clean the injection pump and the injectors. I would also put a quart in the fuel tank it realy cleans everything.
I would use Power Service additive instead of ATF. ATF has friction modifiers in it that will wear the IP and injectors. In addition the ATF is designed to resist burning and will leave ash deposits, while the Power Service additive is designed to burn clean.

sawgunner1

First things first!

Hey,
the generator problem at first. Did you measure the generator output? you easily can do it with a common Voltmeter at the batteriepoles of any of the two bateries, reading must be at least 12.8 Volts. If it is over 15 Volts, change regulator and diode plate. Due to experiance these are cheep made parts and a new regulator useually will not work with an used diode plate. It is not soe difficult to do it at home with a minimum of automotive chraftmanship.
Fuel: as said before, keep several fuel filters on hand. To me it sounds like debris in the filter which cloggs it. For interest of debris in the filter, cut them open and inspect them. If before Biodiesel was used and the vehicle was moved very littele like you said, pump drain the fuel tank and get ridge of the stuff!
Proper fuel return can also be checked, if you remove the return fuel line from the injection pum and crank the engine.
The most severe reason could be the braking of the linkage inside the injection pump or, if you are lucky, a missassemble of the linkage. This can normally be ajusted at home, if you risk to take the injection pump out and disassemble it.
Else, the valve opening cantact at the injection pump can be bad. This is due to a poor contact of the wire connected to the insolated contacr of the cover, This happens not so very often, but due to age the copper contact looses crimpng power and then we have the reason.
Wolf
16 years with an M1009
Good Luck!

Thanks Wolf!

Hell, I don't even own a voltmeter!?! At least I can't find one!

I'm getting a multitude of things to check out.

So far actual work has prevented me from doing anything!

This weekend I WILL collect up the basics and get to work on my Blazer.

crusty

Are you sure the battery polarity is correct? For a 24 volt system, the front battery's neg terminal should be grounded to the chassis, and the positive terminal should be hooked to the rear battery's negative terminal. If they're wrong, serious consequences would ensue.

Wolf.Dose

With the original batterie harness it is very difficult to missconnect the batteries. Plus and minus have different diameters and therefore the wirering normally can not be connected the wrong way.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks