• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85' CUCV 1-ton to 1/2 ton diff's

Rock_Solid

I recently got an 85' CUCV without the one ton diff's (the guy wants them for a mud truck:roll:). My question is, Can i throw in some 1/2 ton blazer CUCV diff's and the driveshafts still work? I want to hold off with the 1/2 tons until i can find a 60/ 14bolt comco.

Westech

CPL
The rear will work with the correct u joint that goes from 1 ton to 1/2 ton... a good Napa store should be able to get you the correct one. I have done it in the past on a couple trucks. I have never changed the front but I would think it would be the same way with the u joint.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got an 85' CUCV without the one ton diff's (the guy wants them for a mud truck:roll:). My question is, Can i throw in some 1/2 ton blazer CUCV diff's and the driveshafts still work? I want to hold off with the 1/2 tons until i can find a 60/ 14bolt comco.

Just go buy a rusted out 3/4ton GM from 73-87 and use the axles from it. I bought a 79 K20 Suburban for $600.00 and used the Dana 44/14bolt FF,(3.73 gears), for a project. It also included a T400 tranny. Unless you are going to run huge tires and run mostly off-road, you won't need the Dana 60 front for a daily driver.

acmunro

One thing I found in my axle swaping quest was -
Most crew cab 20 series Chevy trucks (3/4 tons) if not all from the 80's have the same spring perch width and shock mount as 1 ton trucks. Don't know if this helps, but it might help some one out in a future search.

kennyw

One thing I found in my axle swaping quest was -
Most crew cab 20 series Chevy trucks (3/4 tons) if not all from the 80's have the same spring perch width and shock mount as 1 ton trucks. Don't know if this helps, but it might help some one out in a future search.
Crewcab C20's actually use the 1 ton frame with lighter leaf packs is all.

kennyw

Also, you can stuff the 1/2 ton axles into the 1 ton without modification by just prying the leaf pack into position if your only goal is to keep it rolling. I wouldn't do that if you plan to put it on the road, but it would be fine for rolling around the driveway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks