• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85' CUCV 1-ton to 1/2 ton diff's

Rock_Solid

I recently got an 85' CUCV without the one ton diff's (the guy wants them for a mud truck:roll:). My question is, Can i throw in some 1/2 ton blazer CUCV diff's and the driveshafts still work? I want to hold off with the 1/2 tons until i can find a 60/ 14bolt comco.

Westech

CPL
The rear will work with the correct u joint that goes from 1 ton to 1/2 ton... a good Napa store should be able to get you the correct one. I have done it in the past on a couple trucks. I have never changed the front but I would think it would be the same way with the u joint.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got an 85' CUCV without the one ton diff's (the guy wants them for a mud truck:roll:). My question is, Can i throw in some 1/2 ton blazer CUCV diff's and the driveshafts still work? I want to hold off with the 1/2 tons until i can find a 60/ 14bolt comco.

Just go buy a rusted out 3/4ton GM from 73-87 and use the axles from it. I bought a 79 K20 Suburban for $600.00 and used the Dana 44/14bolt FF,(3.73 gears), for a project. It also included a T400 tranny. Unless you are going to run huge tires and run mostly off-road, you won't need the Dana 60 front for a daily driver.

acmunro

One thing I found in my axle swaping quest was -
Most crew cab 20 series Chevy trucks (3/4 tons) if not all from the 80's have the same spring perch width and shock mount as 1 ton trucks. Don't know if this helps, but it might help some one out in a future search.

kennyw

One thing I found in my axle swaping quest was -
Most crew cab 20 series Chevy trucks (3/4 tons) if not all from the 80's have the same spring perch width and shock mount as 1 ton trucks. Don't know if this helps, but it might help some one out in a future search.
Crewcab C20's actually use the 1 ton frame with lighter leaf packs is all.

kennyw

Also, you can stuff the 1/2 ton axles into the 1 ton without modification by just prying the leaf pack into position if your only goal is to keep it rolling. I wouldn't do that if you plan to put it on the road, but it would be fine for rolling around the driveway.