• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85- M1009 MISSING STARTER & BOTH ALT.S CONVERT TO 12V

nukewrk

Hello,
I just bought a 1985 M1009 at auction. The starter and both alternators were taken off for use on another vechicle. That seems to be all that was missing. Was told the truck ran great just needed the parts for a M1008. It has been sitting 4-5 months.
Would it be best/cheaper to replace the orginal 24v starter and orginal alternators or go with a 12v system.
Any info on the pro's & con's of switching from 24v to 12v would be appreciated.
Also need info on best place to buy starter and alternators. I had seen 24v starters for around 179.00 plus shipping, is that in the ball park??
I know these are not simple questions, but would appreciate any help. Also info on any ele. wiring manuals. Thanks Dennis

CCATLETT1984

RE: 85- M1009 MISSING STARTER & BOTH ALT.S CONVERT TO

First are you planning on buying any other military trucks, if you are I'd leave it 24v just for ease in jumpstarting one vehicle from another.
If you want to change it over to 12v its not that hard, only have to move a few wires.

devilman96

I wouldn’t convert it ether... A 24V starter handles the 6.2La lot better than a 12V making them far more dependable (my opinion) and when using a 24V gear reduced unit, forget it, the starter will outlast the truck!!! It really isn’t any more or less complicated than a 12V system as when things go wrong your still trouble shooting one way or another. Not to mention adding AC on a 24V CUCV is actually easier than the 12V civy set ups.

By all means shop around but you can find the correct parts to bolt back on without much effort!!!

http://www.odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=17_39

tmbrwolf

If you really want to convert it here's a link to instructions:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

I convert all the 1008 / 1009 series in our shop to 12V.

1. they are giong to local fire departments.
2. 12v starters are easier to get at any parts house.
3. you don't need the "isolated ground" alternator's.

I'll agree that the 24V system has it's benefits, less cranking amps etc, but since eveything is already gone it will be less expensive to convert it, and lots easier to get the parts to get it running!

nukewrk

Thanks Ken!
The link you sent was a great help. I could not have done it without the help.Now I need an alternator. Any help on where to buy one would be appreciated.
Thanks again, Dennis

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try CSI in GA. They are about 2 hours from Chatanooga, will have all you need. Ebay may also be a source. I need to look but I am almost sure I have a starter on the motor I am pulling this weekend, and if you can wait my neighbor has two residue M1009's coming as soon as EUC clears. That way you could keep it 24V and would be cheaper.

nukewrk

I have tried to get one at the local parts store. The one they have does not fit the mounting brackets. Their's is about an inch to short.
Would you by chance have a part # or the orginal Delco or whatever brand they came with. Thanks Dennis

tmbrwolf

The original GM part numbers are 1105345 or 1105500, either one would work, those would be the "isolated ground" alternators, I'll bet they may be able to get the case size and cross it to a "non isolated ground" alternator which may be less expensive.

CCATLETT1984

the only difference in the isolated ground alternators is a fiber washer that is put in when rebuilding. its the SAME alternator.

having the isolated ground simply means you have to run a ground cable from the lug on the alternator to the engine block, its isolated from the case.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I can't imagine anyone swapping out without looking first. I'd have given my starter away and I'm getting 4 alt's in 3-4 weeks. Oh well, spend the money! :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks