• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 M1009 no cold start

85cucvM1009

I got my 85 m1009 in nov she was running and starting great till last work. The other day i went to start her and the wait light came on and went out and the relay was clicking but i saw the battery gage was not moving like it did before. it always droped a little when the glow plugs where fireing. i put a new relay in, gp controler and new plugs. still nothing, i've did all the trouble shoorting in my tm and have all the right volts and ohms to everything. i still get no cold start.

help will be most usefull

mark

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i put a new relay in
What part number and brand did you use?

and have all the right volts and ohms to everything. i still get no cold start.
If this is correct, it sounds like you have a fuel issue, not a GP issue.

Are you 100% sure the GPs are functioning correctly? If you put a finger on the hex portion of a GP, is it getting hot?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a Glow Plug number, I asked what relay you installed. (Glow Plug relay)

85cucvM1009

the i don't know the relay # it came with the glow plugs. its a metel case one. and no i didn't touch the gp to fell if there hot. the truck runs great once i cheat it to start and it starts right back up when its warme

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you follow the step by step testing proceedure in the TM?

Post a picture or part number for the "big one" you replaced.

Why didn't you say you replaced a burned out part in your first post?

Guessing games suck, please take time to fully explain your situation.

CUCV85

I got my 85 m1009 in nov she was running and starting great till last work. The other day i went to start her and the wait light came on and went out and the relay was clicking but i saw the battery gage was not moving like it did before. it always droped a little when the glow plugs where fireing. i put a new relay in, gp controler and new plugs. still nothing, i've did all the trouble shoorting in my tm and have all the right volts and ohms to everything. i still get no cold start.

help will be most usefull
Take a test light - hook the small clip to the 12 volt terminal block (diamond shaped) it's right above the GPR.

(take the wire off a GP)
touch the end of the test light to the end of the GP
does it light up? Touch just the end that you pulled the spade connector off!
Sounds like you burned he new set out you just installed!
Hmmmm? check your GP controller card under dash -
Do you have a burn spot on it?
If yes, repair it or have someone else repair it with sottar gun.
or do the manual push button set up - it's easy
search this site for this.
do the Resistors bypass!? <---do a search on this site!
after that any or all of the above
make sure your gp's are good, all 8
if this doesn't work your not telling us enough like DH said.

85cucvM1009

i did step by step trouble shooting from the tm and found the big card under the dash and i found a little card that don't look likes its burn but its getting replaced anyway lol.

24v at the plugs when key is on 12v on the 2 wires on the relay when the key is on all fuses are good. relay clicking but no volt meter going down

CUCV85

i did step by step trouble shooting from the tm and found the big card under the dash and i found a little card that don't look likes its burn but its getting replaced anyway lol.

24v at the plugs when key is on 12v on the 2 wires on the relay when the key is on all fuses are good. relay clicking but no volt meter going down
That's because the plugs aren't drawing because they're dead!
should be showing 12-14 volts when the resistors and all 8 plugs work.
the plugs are essentially resistors themselves.
your Resistors OR SOMETHING is allowing to much voltage to the (12 volt) glow plugs. I have read on here I believe Doghead said that if your connections at the glow plugs should be clean and secure. If you have say 1 glow plug connection not making contact that it can start a chain reaction and KILL ALL of your gp's!
The resistors are designed to drop the voltage WHEN all 8 GP's are functioning correctly to assist in dropping the voltage.

CUCV85

maybe the gpr stuck closed and juiced them to death?
Do the resistors bypass <-----------this may be your issue.
research - search search search[thumbzup]

CUCV85

Going with the glow plug temp sensor last thing in the line to replace

OK that fine.
Your plugs are still DEAD.aua
Cheat it going every time now - RIGHT? Tell us Wrong.
Putting that sensor in is great but doesn't resurrect the Glow Plugs,
Oh and check your new BIG card under the dash in the BIG black box.
Dead now too, get arc'd again!
Let us know about that card you just installed.
You know those are hard to come by and usually quite expensive.
Are you getting them via 5 finger discount from Uncle Sam's Motor Pool...
Next is manual push button if your card is shot. Or Acquire again,
BUT - if you don't fix the card burning issue - YEP another 100.00 card FRIED.
report back your doing great.

85cucvM1009

for starters drop the dam push button please, and as for the card goes no i didn't take it from uncle sam, ebay has the wiredest stuff in the world :idea:. as for the glow plugs i pulled a few out and they look fine to me but will see about the other ones. what about the Resistors could that be a problem and i'm not taking it out i'll replace it if i have to thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks