• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 M1009 runs great, then wont restart

TheSigArmorer

Gentlemen,

Just bought my first MV, an '85 CUCV 6.2 in what appears to be fine condition.

Its been my daily driver for three weeks with no problems at all. I started on short jaunts around the neighborhood to gain confidence. Never got over 45 mph.

Once i did go over 50 mph i felt dirt come thru the vents in the cab so i feel it hasn't been driven over 50 for quite some years.

Drove wonderfully for two trips, 25 minutes long, at 50 to 65 mph.

Then the other day i was headed back from our Gun Range which is only 30 miles away.

Was driving along at 55 and noticed that the gas pedal was dead and i was beginning to coast. Then at 25 mph or so the engine died. I rolled to a stop. Restarted it and it drove for 3/4 mile or so then did the exact same thing. Each time we tried to restart and drive the distance it would go would shorten to the point where i could only get 2000 feet or so before it died.

Bled the fuel filter with no change. Removed the glass bead with no change. Lastlly replaced the fuel filter with no improvement.

Im sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum i just cant find the proper keywords to search. I am new to diesels and MV's so any help is appreciated.

Gunfreak25

Your tank sock is likely plugged with crap. I chased an intermittent dying issue with mine for a long time. It would come and go, mostly only an issue when I was offroading since it would stir the sediment in the tank up. Dead pedal, is a lack of fuel flow. As restriction increases it retards timing until it dies.

I finally pulled my tank and put a 31 gallon in, new sender and lines.

The old tank had dead algae in it and rust particles and the old pickup/sock was totally plugged. Youd never know it but I imagine if I cut my old filters I would've seen lots of junk.

Havent had an issue since!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheSigArmorer

Your tank sock is likely plugged with crap. I chased an intermittent dying issue with mine for a long time. It would come and go, mostly only an issue when I was offroading since it would stir the sediment in the tank up. Dead pedal, is a lack of fuel flow. As restriction increases it retards timing until it dies.

I finally pulled my tank and put a 31 gallon in, new sender and lines.

The old tank had dead algae in it and rust particles and the old pickup/sock was totally plugged. Youd never know it but I imagine if I cut my old filters I would've seen lots of junk.

Havent had an issue since!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will get right on that.

I forgot to mention that when the truck starts to die the fuel gauge drops significantly.

Barrman

The mechanical fuel system is not connected in anyway to the fuel gauge. Yes, the fuel pick up sock mentioned is on the same housing as the fuel level sender in the tank but I can't think of any thing that would connect the fuel gauge moving with fuel not getting picked up. Unless you have a faulty gauge and are running out of fuel.

Lostforwords

Gentlemen,

Just bought my first MV, an '85 CUCV 6.2 in what appears to be fine condition.

Its been my daily driver for three weeks with no problems at all. I started on short jaunts around the neighborhood to gain confidence. Never got over 45 mph.

Once i did go over 50 mph i felt dirt come thru the vents in the cab so i feel it hasn't been driven over 50 for quite some years.

Drove wonderfully for two trips, 25 minutes long, at 50 to 65 mph.

Then the other day i was headed back from our Gun Range which is only 30 miles away.

Was driving along at 55 and noticed that the gas pedal was dead and i was beginning to coast. Then at 25 mph or so the engine died. I rolled to a stop. Restarted it and it drove for 3/4 mile or so then did the exact same thing. Each time we tried to restart and drive the distance it would go would shorten to the point where i could only get 2000 feet or so before it died.

Bled the fuel filter with no change. Removed the glass bead with no change. Lastlly replaced the fuel filter with no improvement.

Im sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum i just cant find the proper keywords to search. I am new to diesels and MV's so any help is appreciated.

Welcome brother! If you dont mind me asking how much did you get your ride for, where and how many miles? If you can also post some pictures.

TheSigArmorer

Sorry for the late post. Been messing with my M1009 almost every day since posting.

Finally figured out the problem was the fuel tank and/or the fuel sending unit. We dropped and replaced both and now its running quite well.

Will let yall know if anything changes.

kdaniels

My normally great running M1009 did just about the same thing today. On start up on high idle it had a slight pulsing cycle that stopped when it kicked down. Going down the road it died just a half mile from the house.

It restarted with some effort ..I drove 100 feet and it died again. No restart. The sending unit stopped work about a year ago. So I guess this will be a good time to repair it. Just wish I didn’t have a full tank of fuel. Any idea where to pick up a new fuel sock??

Semper Fi

keith

Last edited:

kdaniels

Doing some research of the forum threads on this topic most seem to have a lack of power before it stopped. My M 1009 was under acceleration and just shifted into 2nd when it suddenly died . All my gen/oil lights came on and I lost power and coasted to a stop. Would a clogged fuel sock do that so quickly ?

Semper Fi

keith

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks