• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 m1009 swap to 6.5L TD

1love

85 m1009 swap to 6.5L TD

Hello SS brother's and sister's!

I tired searching for this all day and found nothing close to what I'm going to ask. I wanted to ask will I run into any issues when if I put in the following 6.5L TD in the m1009? I know I'll need to change the intake but will it work?
9b47ce0b434ec94f8964e9e283baa64959f4fc59-14.jpg9b47ce0b434ec94f8964e9e283baa64959f4fc59-24.jpg6c916281daa346881709bf2c88c4cc6a39dd0d49-14.jpg6c916281daa346881709bf2c88c4cc6a39dd0d49-24.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No that engine will not fit into the M1009 engine bay. The rear-mounted turbo will hit the transmission tunnel. And even if you were to modify the tunnel to clear, the heat from the turbo would be too much for the cab floor temperature. In addition, you will not be able to change the intake because those rear mounted turbo engines used a different head bolt angle. A regular 6.2 or 6.5 intake will not fit on that engine. I hope you have not already purchased that engine. Sorry for the bad news.

1love

No that engine will not fit into the M1009 engine bay. The rear-mounted turbo will hit the transmission tunnel. And even if you were to modify the tunnel to clear, the heat from the turbo would be too much for the cab floor temperature. In addition, you will not be able to change the intake because those rear mounted turbo engines used a different head bolt angle. A regular 6.2 or 6.5 intake will not fit on that engine. I hope you have not already purchased that engine. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the heads up! No I wanted to make 100% sure before I made any moves. Welp that sucks!

1love

Shout out to Sharecropper!
I bid this setup a adieu! Unless there is a suggested way to make this work I know for sure I could sell most of the parts I'm not going to use such as the transfer case, turbo, IP, intake, heads, exhaust manifolds and odds and ends to pay for the engine but I would rather get some of concealing from you vets before I do so.

Proverbs 24:6
For by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you own the pictured "wet pull" it is much more valuable in one piece than to disassemble and sell bits and pieces.

1love

If you own the pictured "wet pull" it is much more valuable in one piece than to disassemble and sell bits and pieces.

I didn't pull the trigger, it's still up for grabs at a price of $5500.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The emission sticker says GEP on it. Might be a Optimizer 6500? Does it have the diamond in the valley? Sell the heads, turbo, transfercase and whatever you don't need. Use the money from that to get the proper heads and a GM8 turbo. Not sure if it's worth the hassle over a complete Optimizer with the proper turbo etc. already installed? What do those go for?

1love

The emission sticker says GEP on it. Might be a Optimizer 6500? Does it have the diamond in the valley? Sell the heads, turbo, transfercase and whatever you don't need. Use the money from that to get the proper heads and a GM8 turbo. Not sure if it's worth the hassle over a complete Optimizer with the proper turbo etc. already installed? What do those go for?

My same thought but I don't even know if that's a good deal for that whole setup. Shoot I wouldn't even know what heads to get haha.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything Sharecropper stated is correct. I have the shop, the tools and the know how to make it fit so that is what I'm doing. If you don't have those thing's plus a lot of time & patience then you may want to go another route.

I'm not assuming that you don't, I just don't want to encourage anyone to get in over their head.

If your up to the task then go for it.

20210221_131006.jpg

Last edited:

1love

Is this going to be your build thread? So what’s your plan?

Negative the other one that I started will be the main build thread I just wanted to get some input. I guess I'm going to just rock the 6.2 until it dies!

Unless I get that set up and sell the parts I don't need and buy the heads, intake, exhaust, turbo and I think that IP I bought from you will work if not that as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks