• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86’ M1009 looking to add turbo and trans swap advice please

86m10092k21

I am relatively new to the diesel world and looking for some advice or affirmation on what I am trying to add.

My idea and research has pointed me to add a 63mm inter cooled turbo and a 4L80E transmission in order to be a high way vehicle. Adding the 4L80E I need some computer module and that’s where I’m lost.

I would appreciate any advice in this process or tell me I’m going the wrong route and what has worked for you. Any advice is appreciated!

reloader64

Welcome to the MV world.
If your M1009 has the original 3.08 gear ratio, you should be able to go 70 mph-eventually. If you really want to pep it up, find a factory turbo setup from a 6.5 liter engine. With a manual boost control, and a little more fuel, it becomes very driveable. As far as a transmission, unless you're planning to run huge tires, or otherwise really stress the vehicle, a non-computer TH700-R4 will work perfectly, and doesn't require a controller. It's basically a bolt-on.

Scott

powerwagonwc12

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the MV world.
If your M1009 has the original 3.08 gear ratio, you should be able to go 70 mph-eventually. If you really want to pep it up, find a factory turbo setup from a 6.5 liter engine. With a manual boost control, and a little more fuel, it becomes very driveable. As far as a transmission, unless you're planning to run huge tires, or otherwise really stress the vehicle, a non-computer TH700-R4 will work perfectly, and doesn't require a controller. It's basically a bolt-on.

Scott
How would a TH 700 work in a M 1008?

Barrman

The 700R4 is basically an overdrive version of the old TH350. The light duty car transmission that failed a lot. Yes, there are parts and people out there that can make them basically bullet proof for any application. If you can afford to go that route, then they are great in any CUCV. No electronics is nice.

I went 4L80E and computer controller when I did the turbo addition to my diesel 3/4 ton Suburban just because the 4L80E is the overdrive version of the old TH400. I wanted a heavy duty transmission. That being written I plan to turbo one of my M1009 trucks and probably just leave it non overdrive. Unless I swap axles out. Then another 4L80E will be my choice.

I see you are in College Station. What vehicles are you playing with? We should be gathering again at the off road ranch off 47 next March to play if you will still be around then.

powerwagonwc12

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 700R4 is basically an overdrive version of the old TH350. The light duty car transmission that failed a lot. Yes, there are parts and people out there that can make them basically bullet proof for any application. If you can afford to go that route, then they are great in any CUCV. No electronics is nice.

I went 4L80E and computer controller when I did the turbo addition to my diesel 3/4 ton Suburban just because the 4L80E is the overdrive version of the old TH400. I wanted a heavy duty transmission. That being written I plan to turbo one of my M1009 trucks and probably just leave it non overdrive. Unless I swap axles out. Then another 4L80E will be my choice.

I see you are in College Station. What vehicles are you playing with? We should be gathering again at the off road ranch off 47 next March to play if you will still be around then.

I expect to be here a few more years, I am unaware of the off road ranch around FM 47. I currently have an M1008 that I expect to turbochage and install a 4L80E as I find parts. I have looked at the auction barn around SH 21 near Giddings from time to time for doner trucks with no success. If you have any advice or experiance with this upgrade Please advise.

Thank you.

Barrman

Well, here is the thread about my 3/4 Suburban. It is loooooonnnnnnnnggggggggggg. I go through which transmission in great detail. Along with turbo stuff, engine swaps, pretty much the entire thing:

I have threads on my M1009's and 6.2 powered M715 too but I haven't posted to them in so long I don't know where they are anymore.

Brazos Valley off road ranch is the first crossover north of Villa Maria on 47. The cross over dead ends into the locked gate for the ranch. We gather there every March. Camp, visit, work on trucks, convoy to the Museum of the American GI, enjoy the military vehicle flea market and displays, convoy back and play with the trucks some more.

powerwagonwc12

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here is the thread about my 3/4 Suburban. It is loooooonnnnnnnnggggggggggg. I go through which transmission in great detail. Along with turbo stuff, engine swaps, pretty much the entire thing:

I have threads on my M1009's and 6.2 powered M715 too but I haven't posted to them in so long I don't know where they are anymore.

Brazos Valley off road ranch is the first crossover north of Villa Maria on 47. The cross over dead ends into the locked gate for the ranch. We gather there every March. Camp, visit, work on trucks, convoy to the Museum of the American GI, enjoy the military vehicle flea market and displays, convoy back and play with the trucks some more.

I have need of a pair of bucket seats from a M 1009 or any other variant or ambulance etc. please advise if you know of a set.

reloader64

Tim,
I (respectfully, of course) disagree with your assessment of both the TH350 and TH700R4. The TH350 was an excellent transmission, and most failures could be traced back to either overheating or failure at 150,000 miles due to a complete lack of maintenance. Having said that, your 700R4 needs to be a 1989 model, or rebuilt to '89 specs. Unless you're running huge tires or towing a lot, this transmission will last nearly forever behind a 6.2, even if turbocharged.

Scott

Barrman

Scott, I knew I would get that exact argument when I wrote that yesterday. I should have stopped there and deleted it. You are correct about both transmissions when they are used as intended and maintained.

Barrman

I think the ambulance seats are different. At least they feel different when I have sat in a M1010. Only the TM can tell us for sure. I do have some M1009 seats, but they aren't in the best of shape.

reloader64

Scott, I knew I would get that exact argument when I wrote that yesterday. I should have stopped there and deleted it. You are correct about both transmissions when they are used as intended and maintained.
Not to worry, I just wanted to get my 2 cents in :p
The TH700R4 had a well-earned bad reputation when it was first introduced in 1981. The story is that GM decided to design and build it without the help of Hydramatic, with disastrous results. After many updates, and finally turning it over to Hydramatic, it evolved into a decent transmission, if used within it's design parameters. If one wishes to make serious horsepower (although difficult with the 6.2) or put really big tires on, the 4L80 might be a better choice.

I certainly can't argue with your experience with modified vehicles.

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks