• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 chevy ton th400 2wd tranny/ convert to th400 4wd tranny

hokie8358

I have a 86 chevy cucv m1028 and just blew out the tranny. My question is, i purchased a 86 model 454bbc motor with the th400 trans hooked to it. Both had been rebuilt at the same time. I think 2500 miles on the pair.
The setup came out of a 86 motorhome 2wd. The tranny still has the trans brake drum/yoke fix to the th400 motorhome trans. Can this tailend of trans be removed and the 400 converted from 2wd to 4wd??
If so id rather do that than buy another th400 or rebuild what i have. Any ideas!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure on the tail housing. You may have to change the output shaft. You will need to change the torque converter and the governor.

Ill see if I can find my transmission book.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, change tail housing and output shaft. The output shaft in the rear drum is a replaceable part, and you should be able to use the one from your old transmission.
Note that the trans from the motor-home may be the 475 series, all items still fit just more clutch plates so the drum pistons are different.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can tell you what we've done in the past when it comes to TH400's.

I will warn you, this is a hack job up front. But when we'd blow a TH400 in a mud truck, we'd take a TH400 2wd from a truck/car/whatever. Instead of tearing it down, we'd simply cut the output shaft length down. Worked without a problem. Just had to file the splines smooth and clean on the edge.

Mind you, these were mud truck toys. Emphasis on cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks