• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

86 M1008 Drum Brakes

MKurtBenjamin

Trying to change the drums but they won’t move. Any videos on removal and installation anywhere? Got as far as removing spindle nut. Wheel bearing looked like it wanted to come out but it wouldn’t. Can’t find Jack anywhere. Also…are the shoes and drums the same as an 86 K30? Thanks in advance!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to change the drums but they won’t move. Any videos on removal and installation anywhere? Got as far as removing spindle nut. Wheel bearing looked like it wanted to come out but it wouldn’t. Can’t find Jack anywhere. Also…are the shoes and drums the same as an 86 K30? Thanks in advance!
You got the nut off but you pull on the drum and it won't slide off...can you spin the drum by hand? ..like make it go around like it was being driven?...does it have a bunch of wobble? I've had a few that the oil in the diff went low and the bearing race spun and dug into the spindle...can be very hard to get off if that's what's happened...usually the inner race...anyhow pop a pic of what you have off just to make sure we're on the same page...I've done some crazy stuff getting those off!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it can spin freely. I can get it off maybe 2” and then nothing. No wobble. Just changed the differential fluid recently. Can’t do pics right now…put it back together because I need it for transportation.
That's good it comes off some...I assume the outer bearing will come out if you push the drum back in? I think you said it didn't but I'd work hard at getting that out...should be able to wiggle the inner race off once you can get the outer bearing out...think that's where I'd start...there are a bunch of youtube videos on the 14 bolt dually truck which is pretty much the same just shorter wheel studs...really though all the ones I found the drum just rolls off and not getting stuck...does it leak axle fluid in the drum?

MKurtBenjamin

No leaks at all in this drum. The OTHER one has a little leak. I’ll try to get the bearing out next time. Luckily, the brakes are still manageable. Though they do need attention. The worst thing is doing anything the first time. Why can’t we just start with the second time around and have it take only 5 minutes?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No leaks at all in this drum. The OTHER one has a little leak. I’ll try to get the bearing out next time. Luckily, the brakes are still manageable. Though they do need attention. The worst thing is doing anything the first time. Why can’t we just start with the second time around and have it take only 5 minutes?
I hear that!! These drums are pretty heavy!! I think semi truck guys have a drum lift to get them on and off easier...but it doesn't hurt to have an extra person there in case you get stuck under it...think of it like a car front brake rotor that has the pack bearings in it...they get a little off straight it'll bind some...now just add 100 pounds...magnifying how hard they can be to get off...if you are good at making stuff you can use a piece of angle iron bent on one end with a hole drilled in it that will bolt to a lug stud...that would give you leverage to move the drum up and down to wiggle it off.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Agreeing with @NDT ...

You might have drums that should have been "turned" several shoe replacements ago. Possibly there is a ridge on the inside edge of the drum that is getting hung up on the shoe - as you try to pull the drum off. Backing on on the self-adjuster might solve the removal.

DrumLip.jpg

Yeah, this isn't really your drum - but the picture is for effect.
Spotting Round... Fire for effect!

Drum Brake SelfAdjuster GM.JPG

Again, similar but different. That gizmo (self adjuster) is below the green spring at the bottom (generally). It is adjusted through a removable rubber plug on the bottom of the brake plate. In a perfect world you have the correct "Brake Spoon" for your particular vehicle. Until then, a wide flat bladed screwdriver will do the job... You will get three, four, possibly five clicks then reset and do it again. Fun part is if you rotate the wrong way the brake will just get tighter - and if you go the other way the drum might fall off. Don't let it land on your leg or foot! ;-)

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreeing with @NDT ...

You might have drums that should have been "turned" several shoe replacements ago. Possibly there is a ridge on the inside edge of the drum that is getting hung up on the shoe - as you try to pull the drum off. Backing on on the self-adjuster might solve the removal.

View attachment 846236

Yeah, this isn't really your drum - but the picture is for effect.
Spotting Round... Fire for effect!

View attachment 846237

Again, similar but different. That gizmo (self adjuster) is below the green spring at the bottom (generally). It is adjusted through a removable rubber plug on the bottom of the brake plate. In a perfect world you have the correct "Brake Spoon" for your particular vehicle. Until then, a wide flat bladed screwdriver will do the job...
I guess I'm assuming since it comes off 2 inches it's not catching the inner edge of the shoe?? Maybe the shoes are not worn square and catching the shoe in the middle and stopping it from there!! That does happen for sure...I hope that adjuster isn't frozen and moves!! If that's stuck you'd have to hope it is sliding off enough to get a sawzall blade in there to cut it in half or a torch but that can get sketchy if it catches the gear lube on fire. I've had a few "state" trucks over the years where the inner bearing race spun on the hub and made a nice groove it would catch on...I did some crazy stuff getting those off.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I guess I'm assuming since it comes off 2 inches it's not catching the inner edge of the shoe?? Maybe the shoes are not worn square and catching the shoe in the middle and stopping it from there!! That does happen for sure...I hope that adjuster isn't frozen and moves!! If that's stuck you'd have to hope it is sliding off enough to get a sawzall blade in there to cut it in half or a torch but that can get sketchy if it catches the gear lube on fire. I've had a few "state" trucks over the years where the inner bearing race spun on the hub and made a nice groove it would catch on...I did some crazy stuff getting those off.

Yes Sir WWRD99 !

That sort of thing here can be a frustration. I am guessing up in PA, that wonderful Granular Truck Destroyer is used for months on the roads. Chews up everything made out of metal and I never thought about it - but drum brakes and those adjusters - Ouch! I have beat the "stuffins" out of parts inside the drum and lucked up when it all fell apart. :-(

I have never used a torch, but I can see where that could be a mess in a hurry!
I guess you work fast and keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy.
The Red Wrench will solve problems like no other tool though...

LT67

I would think that if you back off the adjuster, it'll slide right off.

The drums n shoes for a 86 should be the same..

**when ordering parts for any CUCV, always spec 1984 regardless of the year model you have

nyoffroad

In the past I've fought with sticky drums on cars and trucks, in a couple cases I used a grinder and ground the the heads off the brake shoe hold down nails and then removed (still not easy) everything at once. If you don't know the 'nails' are what holds the shoe to the backing plate and can be seen on the back side of the backing plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks