• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's really cool. And those armor plates will really help, say if you do like I do and take the SO out to coffee on Sunday morning. You know, to a Starbucks in a rough neighborhood. :beer:

Was just telling her after seeing your pics "We need a wrecker!" She said "Will it fit in the driveway?" I said, "I'll get a driveway it will fit into."

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How thick are they?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** you just can't stop teasing me......I'm as green with jealousy as the color of your beauty!

I may have asked this before but don't remember. Did you get that on GL and what'd you pay? I see nice 936A2's going for 12-16.....I want one so bad.

I hope you don't mind, I stole one of your pics for my desktop background.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would be REAL careful using those "lifting eyes", thay are "cold link chain repair links, designed to repair a chain by putting it though 2 chain links, bending the link closed so the one end fits in the hole on the other end, this is the only strength the link has. this type of chain repair is a CHEAP, DANGEROUS repair that should almost NEVER be use. You are loading 90 deg. to the attachment point, that in it self is a no no as it puts a tremendous strain on the lifting link, then to make things worse, this is a SOFT metal.

You would be better off bolting tight a short length of chain with hooks on the end, then use chain/chains from the wrecker hook. another thing you could do is put a bit of chain on come-a-longs instead of the chains from the wrecker hook

The REASON I am bringing the above up is I DO NOT want to here about lost fingers, DH toes, or WORSE. The bottom line is "IF YOU CAN NOT LIFT SAFE, DO NOT LIFT", I have seen to many fingers/toes, ect take hits to ignore lifting safety.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO, the repair link you bolted to the plate that you hooked those D rings to

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never be able to buy any of this stuff but I can do a little back yard innovaton. The only thing i haven't picked up is the material the "real stuff" is made of and dimensions of the armor . i won't be making my plates for the VN truck out of anything that heavy..mine will be aluminum plate. To simulate the plating I'd like to be able to tell what the "real" thing is.

Just so I'm not confusing, which I think I am...coffee aint working this morning... I'm looking for the dimensions of the armor and what they're made of. The only real dimension that's important is the thickness. The rest i'll have to wing it for my M-35.[thumbzup]

(the following can be ignored if you find it of no use) And for what it's worth overkill in lifting devices is always better. Last job I had the misfortion of being (as one of my many jobs) the OSHA safety guru. I read a lot of stories not fit for a family type forum such as this where lifting operations went bad and the consequences were worse that smashed fingers. Your link may be the cats meow but what is its capability? If it is just capable of lifting the weight of the plate, might need to rethink it. get the bigger one. Especially if it is something that'll get pulled off while the plate is installed.
Sorry, got on my :soapbox:. You've got some great stuff! I'm:drool: over all the fun stuff you can do with what you got.. When i only grow up....:beer:

mendo

I understand the concern, when I do something like this I test it out first. it sounds like he knows what the links can hold, he purchased the largest he could get, then he knows what the plates weigh, if it was me, he lifted them up just off the ground and looked at it all. most likely he was lifting it from the ground right to the door where the brackets took the weight right away. We all get creative when we work on our stuff. Most of us understand the risk/outcome. I am most suprised when I see stupid lifting not by using the incorrect hardware, but by people being complacent with it. totally trusting it, not paying attention. Like standing underneath it without even looking at it. (like looking at it would make much difference, but it keeps your awareness on it.)

bottom line is: I WISH I HAD A WRECKER!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks