• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8D Batteries made a difference

Snowtiger

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but here it goes. I recently decided to upgrade the battery's in my M923A2 because like some others i foolishly left my battery switch on for a few weeks and totally killed my 4 battery's that were the norm. I changed the 4 battery system over to a 2 battery system 8D's as I have talked about previously. I managed to finish the wiring today and other than the task of taking to long it went I believe well. Here's the question when I used to turn on my old battery 4 pack I remember that there was a distinct clicking sound like when a contact was clicking in and out then I would switch the start button and boom away she goes. Now today when I turned the alternator switch on no clicking or anything but she fired up like a champ. Does this mean the old battery's were on their way out or what. I would love to hear some theory's on this. The photos are of the specs on the new battery's. The old battery's came with the truck Hawkers I believe
IMG_2373.jpgIMG_2374.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had Hawker AGM batteries (no vent caps), they easily come back from the dead with an AGM charger. They then might have outlasted the new 8Ds you just bought with routine AGM conditioning charging.

Rogarner

Your relay in your PCB box has welded the contacts together, now the relay stays connected all the time. You will need to do some testing to be sure of this but it's just the first thing that comes to mind

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clicking is the ABS valves cycling. If you're not hearing that, something went wrong. Double check all of the various connections and ensure you still have them correct for for the ABS computer. The clicking is normal, and you should (as you have) wait for that to stop before spinning the starter.

tobyS

I've put these same batteries in multiple trucks. I get the 1400 CCA ones from Oreilly at about $220 each. I like them. I assume you kept the accessory lines, one of which comes to the center of the (2) 12 volt series.

I hope you didn't use the Hawkers as cores. Personally I have only brought back about 4 of 10, but I don't have the right charging equipment, I use a lead acid slave battery in parallel and a 6 amp charger so they don't get real hot. Even then I stop and let them rest. That is probably why my success rate is low and I buy the big 8D. Good luck.

tobyS

Your relay in your PCB box has welded the contacts together, now the relay stays connected all the time. You will need to do some testing to be sure of this but it's just the first thing that comes to mind
What would cause that?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had Hawker AGM batteries (no vent caps), they easily come back from the dead with an AGM charger. They then might have outlasted the new 8Ds you just bought with routine AGM conditioning charging.
Agree
Hope you still have them

I have hawkers in all my MV's
They have been flawless

Gunzy

My M985 HEMTT came to me with 2 8Ds in it. Last weekend (Sat. 7/2) I took it to a car show and after returning it to the yard (at about 3:30pm) I forgot to turn off the park lamps (Frt. and rear markers). It sat that way til 6am Monday 7/4 (38.5 hours). When we got there at 6am to get the truck for a military vehicle show we found the lights still on. I thought for sure we were going to have to slave it from my M923, but there was 2 things working to my advantage, first was those huge 8D batteries, second was the fact that the lighting that was on were LED. To our absolute amazement the M985 fired right up. Those 8D's are some serious batteries. This is my first experience with them and may buy more when I need some. Just thought I'd share with you folks.

Snowtiger

You folks dont know how much appreciate all your comments and and constructive criticism, my dad use to get the same result behind the wood shed. I am feeling a complete idiot luckily I have the hawkers still for this very reason but I think at this point I will continue to get the 8D's going I checked the wiring and everything checks out as per your feed back and the training manual. So what i better do now is locate my abs unit and see why its not clicking. I can here the contact draw in from the control box but still no clicking sound. Depressing as I really like this truck and its all I enjoy as a hobby. Thanks again you guys/gals are awesome.

Snowtiger

What a great way to wrap up this thread I have great news I got the problem solved it was as you say not working properly I managed to replace the unit and voila it worked perfect. I am learning more about these green machines all the time. Thank you for your info. there is no way I would have wanted to drive without ABS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks