• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9.00 x 20 Tires, good in snow?

digitaldust

UP DATE Ya its mostly about how you drive and leave room . I drove most all winter in my M109a3 with NDT's no chains just drive like your on ice and your ok the truck might slide straight insted of going on a turn so slow down and remember the low range get used to it . also
PM PM PM PM this fall things you want or need to get done , Drain the air tanks every day maybe get heaters on the tanks just dont let the water build up in the brakes.

watch out the zombies driving ,,, err aiming there cars at you !

Also anyone in michigan can now drive with chains " If there is snow on the roads " when the roads have melted or been cleared chains must come off
chains / studs must never contact highway blacktop .

the bummer for studs. you can only use stud that are MDOT approved
um there none listed .......

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

Ok just so you know I have Two rules on driving ...well lets say two main ones ...One is paying more attention to what the other drivers are doing around you and keep them at a safe distance......Two is in bad weather to plan well ahead of where you are going to stop turn or engage other traffic ..... In SC we don't see a lot of snow or ice thank goodness, but when I travel I will have chains and such at hand even a small shovel or two....I would like to see more people doing the same ....Chains are a must have in snow country hands down on any car are truck ........:driver:

BEASTMASTER

i've been plowing with my 11:20's for 5 yrs now. NO problem. like said, drive careful and they do not corner very well at all. do put about a ton of sand inthe back ,helps unbelievable, and if you need sand you got it. sprinkle some rock salt over it to keep it from freezing solid, and keep it covered." A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS"

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also anyone in michigan can now drive with chains " If there is snow on the roads " when the roads have melted or been cleared chains must come off
chains / studs must never contact highway blacktop .

Is this a recent change? I checked with a Motor Carrier Officer a few months back and he said no way, not even on snow. The good thing is snow doesn't stay on the roads very long in my neck of the (concrete) woods.

Gravel

My biggest worry is just getting down my alleyway. Its short but has a good enough angle that I have watched my neighbor slide his logging truck down it sideways a few times. When it snows around here, it almost always has been raining before and has a heck of a layer of ice underneath. Add the fact that its a busy road with little visibility till you get to the bottom of it, it could be disaster real quick..

Attachments

KaiserM109

Just to throw my 2 cents in, my experience tells me that NDTs are TERRIBLE on hard, slick surfaces. From ’67 to ’69 I was in Vietnam and a deuce with NDTs could plow the mud if anything short of a Track Retriever could. In ‘73 I was in the Reserves, 244 Engr. Bn., Boulder, CO, and we took our equipment up in the mountains on a weekend. It snowed heavily while we were there and we could not get our equipment with NDTs down the canyons without sliding off the road. We left 12 trucks including 5 tons, deuces and an M123 10 ton tractor with a lowboy and a 290 earth mover, parked at the side of the road and piled into civilian cars to get home. I was driving a 5 ton with a D8 on a lowboy and I puckered up so tight I pulled 5 lb. of cotton out of that seat.

If you heard about our big fire last month, you know where we were working.

When I drove my M109 from Ft. Riley, KS to Denver, CO I went through heavy rain and it was squirrelly enough that I pulled into a truck stop and waited it out. I have been wondering if either putting a locking hub on a rear axle or actually pulling out an axle would help that.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in ND, and yes WE DO get a fair amount of snow, I drove my trcuk in the snow last year and the dualed stock tires in the rear are OK AT BEST, keep the tire pressure in the 20 to 25 pound range in the rear and an additional 5K pounds in the bed will help, in snow they are OK on anythiing that resembles ICE forget it if you are not careful these trucks become and unguided 14K monster pretty quickly, If you are not going to change tires just be very aware or the roads and what is areound you to hit, Good Luck!
KK

jb31

i just got my 135 but the guy i bought it from uses m35s in upstate ny for logging year round, he said the mil tires were terrieble without chains, the truck i got from him already has bfgoodrich all around, traction tires in the back and steer style on the frot, he said they would do fairly well but im only plowing my place and a joy ride with the boy up to the farm, im looking for chains to help out just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks