• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9.00X16" tire tube stem size

McGuyver

Hello all,

I need to figure out what tube and flap to get to go with the 9.00X16" NDT Denman tire that goes with my M101A1 trailer. I looked at some of the material that CGarbee has on his web site, and it seems to indicate that the tube valve number should be a TR 177A. Is this right? I'm not even sure what this number represents. Is this some measurement or size of the valve stem? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, and one more thing, if you know a good source I can go to to get the tube and flap, that would be very much appreciated too. Thanks! :D

CGarbee

The tube valve number is a standard nomenclature used to describe length, fitment, material, etc. for a valve assembly in a tube so that you can ensure that it is long enough, bendable (if needed), etc. to fit into your application. Nothing bites more than to have a tire assembly mounted than to learn that you can't put the air hose on it because the valve is hidden back in the tire, or to have the valve hit the brakes and get clipped, etc.

If you have a decent tire shop near you (farm, truck, equipment), just tell them that you need a tube for a bias ply 900x16 tire that is to be mounted on an old Budd wheel. If not, order them from International Tire and Tube and tell them the same thing.. (or call Wallace Wade, RAPCO, or your other favorite M-Series dealer).

You can use a radial tube in a bias ply tire, but you can't use a bias ply tube in a radial tire.

The part numbers on my website are actually for radial tubes...

For a description of what the tube numbers mean, take a look at the info on this site:
http://www.innertube.com/valvechart.htm

A TR150 is a good stem to use for a 900x16 tire on a M101 or M37 and is described as:
"Light truck and industrial sizes. This valve is a straight rubber-covered valve that is 3.55" long. This valve fits the .625" diameter rim hole. It is generally straight and is hand bendable."

The TR177A that you mention is a TR75A series valve and it has a length of 3.7" and is just a tad longer than ta TR150...(sticks out a bit more from the side of the rim).

Radial tubes at International Tube and Tire are located at:
http://www.innertubes.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=60_62

Bias ply tubes at International Tube and Tire are located at:
http://www.innertubes.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=60_61

Have I confused you more? :)

McGuyver

Okay, this is starting to make more sense. I was wondering why the guys at the shop were telling me to look for a TR440-445 stem tube. (they were having trouble finding one out west) Apparently the TR440 Series tubes have replaced the TR75A and TR460 series. I went out and checked, and the original tubes on the tires were a 3.7" "L" shaped stem bent at an 85 degree angle. So basically I should be looking for a TR441, TR461, or TR177A stemmed tube for a 9.00-16 tire (assuming I want to stick with the same length, and bend of valve, which I do.) Correct? I'm pretty sure I don't want a straight stem, that might interfere with the drum.

Thanks for the help CG. :)

CGarbee

Sidewall flex in a radial tire generates more heat than a bias ply tire and, since the sidwall flexes more that tube gets more "squeezing" as well. Radial tubes are manufactured and rated for this but bias ply ones are not. So, bias ply tube for bias tire only while radial tube can take the higher heat of radial tire and the lower heat of a bias tire...

Not only is the rubber composition different, the actually construction (thickness, reinforcement) is different as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks