• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9 months of work......

Baron3-6

So I drove my M-37 for its first big trip since getting it back to running. Drove it over 20 miles, and not any hitches other than yuppies getting ticked off at me for going 45mph on a state highway (2 lane). Even had an old gentleman flag me down, he lives nearby and has a '52 M38 and wants to convoy some time.

I wanted to post some photos to show what 9 months of work can do. When I got my truck in June it was an original army configured truck in very good shape. The guy I bought it from threw a bearing and blew a valve cover out going down-hill at 55+mph. When I got the truck he had rebuilt the block, but everything else came in boxes in as-removed condition. I worked for 2-3 hours after work each week night and about 2 weekends a month since June. The before and after pictures speak for themselves.

-New paint and primer (rattle cans, not bad eh?)
-Brakes flushed, new flex lines and bleeders.
-Carb sent off for rebuild
-Distributor rebuilt with pointless igition
-New civilian fuel pump, fuel lines.
-Re-wired gauges
-Completely rebuild manifold (3 broken bolts)
- Radiator flushed, new hoses
-All new belts, lines, gaskets, and hoses.
(Haven't gotten to the winch yet)

When I got back today I took some pictures with the Vietnam field gear I've collected over the years. I have to say rebuilding the M37 and having an awesome, understanding wife was the best thing to put a year in Afghanistan behind you. Anyways, here it is....

Attachments

zout

[thumbzup] Up to you my friend. Those are some great looking and I am sure a readers digest version of your driving it around.

Never mind the yuppies - when an EMP hits they will coming to find folks like you to bail them out.

If you have any more pics of the interior pop em on here - looks great and welcome aboard.

vtdeucedriver

Sweet M-37 and a GREAT impression!! Make sure you got a issue of playboy in the glove box[thumbzup] Sometime I wish we did our M-37 a bit later but were filling a void for Korean war.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding!

Nice touch with the correct glasses.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on man, I give you 1 REP point and two thumbs up for your ingenuity and perseverance in a job well done..[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Thank you for your service....!

CatMan

M-37 Nine Months Work

That's a great job. The M-37 is my wife's favorite truck. Having done some ground up restorations I can really appreciate the time you put into the project.

I noticed the unit markings 984th Engineers. I assume that LC stands for "Land Clearing". The land clearing companies are interesting units from the Vietnam era. They had lots of Cat D7E dozers. Good Unit Choice for as historic vehicle. Do you have a connection to the Land Clearing companies?

Cat Man

Baron3-6

I do have a soft spot for the 984th "Land Barons". I chose 984th because that was my former unit overseas. The 984th lived up to the Vietnam legend in Afghanistan; fighting almost as much as moving dirt. The D7G (Armored) was still our workhorse, but no Rome plows. The bumper codes are correct for Vietnam, the vehicle number 306 was my truck number. PM me sometime about history of EN in VN.

nattieleather

Great work! If I didn't know any better I'd say the last pic was taking in 1968 instead of 2012. I am going to assume that was your father's war?

Great job on the truck! Looks like a few more things and you'll be all set. So already starting to think what the next project will be? (That's why it's called OD Feaver....:lol:)

Mike_L

Very nice job. And, with a proper grouping of gear to go with the truck's markings too! Excellent display.

Have you got this one registered on the G741.org site? I'm sure the guys there would love to see this one.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Sweet! Job well done. Mission accomplished. Welcome home, and welcome back. The truck looks great as well as the pic of you in it! I hope you keep us updated with pics on all your adventures together.
:grd::popcorn: