• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9 series hood clearence

eldgenb

I have a 818 and want to put a cummins 350 in it. Does the 900 series hood offer more engine clearance than my truck? is it a difficult swap onto my truck or is it not worthwhile? cab is the same if I remember correctly, any info would be appreciated if you can share your ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Eldgen

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The cab is actually different-the M939 series is at least a foot wider than the M44/M39/M809 series.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood clearance is the only real problem from what I understand but a 350/400 swap with the 800 hood can be done. The main issue is the charged air tube that goes from the turbo over the top of the engine to the intake. Somewhere in the SS forums is a thread where a member put a 400 Cummins in his 800 series truck. I think he made a custom air tube to help with this issue.

Ruppster

eldgenb

Hi all, thanks for the responses, I guess I should elaborate. I have access to a 900 series front clip, cab, etc. I know that the 9 series are upgraded 8 series so it should not be too big a deal to swap them around. I also prefer the 9 series look to the 8 series, my big questions are does the 9 series provide more engine clearance so that I would not have to modify the engine and is there anything major that would keep me from doing the swap of cab and front clip?

emr

boy, my memory is bad, I just had both hoods open this weekend, I think it does not by much by memory, If U e mail me a cell phone i will measure them this week for U, and as U know they are the same truck where it counts, cab and trans is about it,

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M939 series is much more than an M809 series with some reworked sheet metal. As others have said, the cab is much wider to start with. There is no way...that will look reasonable...to adapt an M939 series hood to an M809 series cab. Guys want to try to do what can't be done. I say...PROVE ME WRONG. Better to figure out a way to fit your motor under an M809 series hood.

KsM715

From the sounds of it the OP has access to both the hood and cab. If he wants to swap both, sounds like an awfull lot of work to me. If its just the crossover tube thats in the way I would just modify the 800 hood to clear it.

halftrack

How would you even attach the hood. Isn't the front frame cross member different from the M939 to the M809s? The steering linkage and setup will also be a big hurdle.

I am just not seeing these similarities between the 900s and the 800s.

jwaller

the problem with hood clearance is not only the charge air tube but if your donor motor has jakes then the front cylinder head will be too tall and the intercooler will also hit the hood

eldgenb

From the sounds of it the OP has access to both the hood and cab. If he wants to swap both, sounds like an awfull lot of work to me. If its just the crossover tube thats in the way I would just modify the 800 hood to clear it.
correct, I have access the the whole truck for dissasembly so getting a cross member or something mount wise would not be a problem, the engine is a secondary concern, the truck I am getting them from is detailed just beautifully and I would like to have the cab and clip on my truck. However I do not want to go through all the work if I still have to modify the front of the truck to stuff the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks