• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9 Year Old Batteries and Some Problems

DXTAC

Okay let me start by saying that I've read SOO MANY electrical, battery, charging and alternator threads that now I'm a bit confused. Lemme explain. Mongo starts great (a little white smoke but I have some new GP's), runs great and has no true issues other than needing a steering box in the WORST WAY. My issue is that 90% time when I drive the voltmeter is dead nuts in the center of the green and things like my wipers work fine. The other 10% of the time the voltmeter is exactly on the line between yellow and green and the wipers are painfully S L O O O W. Both Gen 1 and Gen 2 lights work and starting has never been an issue. Something is on its way out as the voltmeter would be indicating, so I'm now wondering if I should be optimistic and replace the batteries with a couple of Interstate Group 31 rebuilds (are they really only $45.00ish???) and hope for the best or??? The manufacture date on both batteries is 2002 and I'm surprised they've lasted this long!

dstang97

Don't forget those are just idiot gauges. For a more accurate reading poke around with a volt meter. If you want disconnEct them and bring to an auto store to test them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
9 years is a long time for batteries.

Buy yourself a load tester from Harbor Freight. The 100amp one is ~$20 and is an okay unit. The 500amp is better.

Test your batteries with the load tester and see what they are doing.

The Interstate Group 31s for $45 are refurbished units. Usually the same warranty as the $100+ new ones. Not all locations have them.

The first tools for any CUCV owner should be:

Voltmeter (and know how to use it)
Battery Load Tester
Wire brushes
Sandpaper
Electrical Contact Cleaner
All the Tech Manuals (free on this site)

You can solve 90%+ of all your electrical problems by cleaning the electrical connections

steved454

Just checked Interstate battery yesterday. $45 Refub, plus trade in batteries. in my location they keep plenty in stock but also sell alot.If not trade in I think he said $25 if no batteries to trade in.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Your issue is probably poor connections. I would start by removing every ground lug and power terminal in the charging circuit and cleaning them thoroughly. If the batteries are still good, why replace them? If they are getting weak, just replace about half the acid with a solution of Epsom salt and distilled water and you will get a few months more life out of them.

Disciple

Check the two-wire white plug on top of each alternator. I had similar issues recently. Checked these, they were filthy and half-melted. Got new ones from NAPA for about $4 (standard GM Alternator harness), soldered them up and Presto! Not saying this is it for you, but it's a good place to start. As stated above, just clean everything!

DXTAC

Okay one battery failed the load test at Interstate and the other just passed. I bought the "Blemished" batteries for $45.00 each and all is good with the batteries. I tested the alternators and the DS is showing 14.37 and the PS is showing 29.25?!?! I tested them while the voltmeter gauge was in the middle of the green. Imagine that, I wanted it to be ON the line between green and yellow to test and it wouldn't cooperate! Do these numbers look "normal"???

Also, can I run a voltmeter gauge to EACH alternator individually and mount inside? I tried doing some searches but couldn't find much?

On a good note, I did replace the GP's today without issue. None were swollen so I have PLENTY of spares.

The fun and games continue!!