• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900 Series 5 ton

Prerunner1982

My guard unit just got a handful of the 900 series 5tons to replace the old dueces. I had only driven a lightly loaded one and it didnt seem to be all that impressive. I suppose we got a few good ones though as the one that was chosen for my shop truck is quite fast.. for a large and heavily loaded truck.. It has 2 loaded tool cabinets and 2 loaded parts cabinets plus extra tools and parts taking up half of the available floor space. I have been driving it lately on drill and fully loaded with full trailer I could still do 63-65. i was amazed.. anyways just thought I would share and perhaps someone could enlighten me on this.

Tom @ Snake River

900 performance

I do not have personal experience will the 900 series, BUT, I run a pair of M-812's which run the same engine with a manual transmission. My top speed loaded and unloaded is about 62mph. Automatic transmissions usually eat some power. But it sounds like you are doing okay. Tom @ Snake River

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned several M939 series trucks (M929A1 dump, M928A1 long bed cargo, M936A2 wrecker, M932A2 tractor, M925A2 cargo) and have put quite a few miles on them. In my opinion, they have drive much better than the older trucks and have as much, or more, power (accelaration and torque). The cabs are also much, much more comfortable than the earlier trucks. The M936A2 wrecker that I owned weighed about 38,000 pounds when equipped with the complete wrecker tool kit and the Cummins 6CTA 8.3L motor pulled that truck right up to 65 mph without any trouble. The truck actually pushed you back in the seat as it was winding through the gears. My A2 tractor is the same, although I have never towed a trailer with a load. I will say that my M928A1 was kind of doggy, but that was because the shift modulator had been changed, but the transmission shift points had not been re-set (it shifted from 2nd to 3rd way too early). Personally, I love the M939 series trucks (motor, transmission, design, etc.). In any case, this is my personal opinion and I'm sure there are others out there.

Bruce

Olney, MD
------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove Bruce's 932A2 tractor and it seems to be the ultimate compromise between a full on tactical truck which it is, and a more civilized civilian truck. Hearing protection not required and seated 3 pretty comfortably. I look forward to another chance behind the wheel.

NEIOWA

BKubu said:
I've owned several M939 series trucks (M929A1 dump, M928A1 long bed cargo, M936A2 wrecker, M932A2 tractor, M925A2 cargo) and have put quite a few miles on them.
What was the channel thru which your M900 series truck flowed from DOD? Thru govliquidation or something else? If you know.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking to one of the forrestry guys here in Arkansas he says there is a new program through the DOD that if a fire dept. has an immediate need they can aquire a truck from the DOD directly that goes to the fire dept and is not return to the forestry dept.at the end of it mandatory 18 month use. The fire depts will dispose of the trucks instead of the state having annual auctions.
James G.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gotten trucks through several differen avenues. I got my current M925A2 from GL, although it was missing its motor, transmission, gauge cluster, and steering column (not to mention MANY small miscellaneous parts). It is a really straight truck, though...and is about 95% complete (and now running!). I got my M932A2 from a dealer. I've bought previous trucks from private dealers and also got one from GSA, although that truck needed LOTS of money to bring it back to where I wanted it due to it having been in civilian hands (these agencies tend to butcher things...although not always).

Bruce

Olney, MD
------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

NEIOWA

rumplecat said:
I was talking to one of the forrestry guys here in Arkansas he says there is a new program through the DOD that if a fire dept. has an immediate need they can aquire a truck from the DOD directly that goes to the fire dept and is not return to the forestry dept.at the end of it mandatory 18 month use. The fire depts will dispose of the trucks instead of the state having annual auctions.
James G.
Correct. The states are in process of signing up or not. Similar to the LESO program which the police have had for years (equipment for "fighting drugs"). Still goes thru state forester but the FD receives title. I'm not sure it is actually a very good idea. I'm afraid that FD will end up in the same place the LESO program has gotten a number of police depts/officers. That is in a number of locations (in particular Chicago/Il (big surprise)) where the LESO program reportedly has been/was operated as a cash flow project. Acaquire every Suburban/Crewcab (amoung other items) available, hold for the required time sell for cash, cash disappears into the donut/scholarship fund. FD do not need to end up in the same spot. FD typically are very poorly funded compared to the police. The FEPP long term/permemant loan of DOD equipment is just as good. Who cares if you have title? Have reequiped our FD with FEPP

www.stanleyiowa.com

M923 series are rare to nonexistant over the period I've been working FEPP (last 3 1/2 years). Have heard that some vehicle never end up in the DRMS system they go out the gate thru other channels. But no details on how that works. Have heard of some exchange system (as the USMC HMMWV of the late 80s). Have also seen DOD "contengency stock" vehicles with near zero miles listed on ebay (that did not go thru DRMS).

I'm looking for source of M923 series for FD. There are MANY M809 series available but most FD will not take them as manual transmission. The USMC & AF are reported to be dumping ALL of th M923 series.

Prerunner1982

Sorry no dice on the pics, truck was at the large maintenance shop where it spents its time during the month, we didnt end up taking it.. maybe next time..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks