• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900 series combat rims

citizensoldier

Hi guys! I am getting ready to mount some Michelins on 20" 10 bolt 900 series combat rims. I have new O rings and new valve stems to install. Any "tricks of the trade" so I dont have problems later on? I am going to chase all the lock nut stud threads, and clean everything good. Should I use thread lock on the valve stem threads? Anything work good for keeping the O ring in place and nice and moist? I only want to do this once so I figured why not ask the pro's. This is my first time with these. Torc specs for ring nuts?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool. I used a good amount of Dawn in some water to make some tire lube to slide everything together easier. It also works to check for air leaks around the valve stem and clamp rings. Tire lube works great too. Lube up the o-rings to keep them from binding and to help them seal. The o-rings will want to twist as you are installing them on the rim. Try to keep them straight as possible. I never used loctite on the valve stems. Just tighten them enough to compress the seal and keep them from turning in the rim. Don't over tighten them or you could cause a leak or worse, snap one off. The torque specs and tightening sequence are in the 939 manual. If you don't have the tool to pull the clamp up on the studs, you'll have to put something under the center of the rim and put some weight on the clamp ring to get the nuts started. Start each nut and run them down a little at a time in a cross pattern to keep from warping the ring.

Lastly, if you know where I can find 2 or 3 more 10-bolt rims, please PM me.

citizensoldier

Somebody purchased 28 brand new ones in GA last month off of GL.. I tried for them but they had deeper pockets. I wondered if it was a Steel Soldier member??.. I have the 10 bolt not the 20..Oops I cant count..LOL I do have one extra that is a 20 bolt with 1/2" studs if anyone needs one to complete a set.
Thanks for the advice Chris its just what I needed to here..

Cdub

What size are the combat rim studs that you have on the 10 bolt combat wheels.........5/8" or 3/4".....??

Ditto on what Chris said 100%

seya,

C'dub

Cdub

The 3/4" studs means that you have the A2 combat wheels...........

I've been running 60 psi with my 14 x 20's for the past year now
and have just about enough of the " bob tailing " down the road I can
handle. I think 60 psi is only good if you carring 10K in the bed.

I have just yesterday droped down all six tires to 45 psi. That should cut down
on some of the bob tailing in the rear and give me a much better ride down the road
in the city and on the hwy.

I'll be taking Sharleen out for a 75 mile run tomorrow and I'll let ya know how she feels........ :driver:

seya,

C'dub

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have seen them lately for $200-250 a piece. I have seen them on eBay with a tire for $350. I would almost give a kidney if I can find 3 more.

jwaller

sos you didnt put the beadlock inserts in? that was the funnest part for me. lucky I had a tire spreader or they never would have gone in. I run abot 45 in my tires on the 5T. any more and it gives you too much bounce unloaded.

citizensoldier

I am going to run thes on the M816 for a short time until the M51A2 is done. So I think I should run more air to help with the 36k of truck.. No need for bead locks... I HOPE !!! Well if we have some more riots in Detroit they could come in handy..

joec

Just picked up 4 Brand new tires Michelin XL 16x20's Same ones mounted next to the deuce wheel. Guess i'll stare at them No rims. And need 2 more tires. They still have the little tittys on them.

citizensoldier

I had my tires for a long time too before I found the rims.. I picked up rims from three different soarces and then needed the O rings and valve stems.. Found a OK deal on that stuff finally and now I am mounting them. I feel the 1600's are a bit big so I went with the 15.5/20.. I love the look of combat rims on everything..