• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900 series fan clutch on a LDT deuce?

sp00n

The LDT multifuel in my Deuce has a full time fan. I recently discovered the 900 series trucks have a heat clutch on their fans. I would like to stop my fan from turning when it isn't needed for a quicker warm up and maybe pickup some extra mileage per ton of fuel it uses.

Pretty sure the 900 series trucks have the 400 Cummins in them, would the fan clutch from one of those have any hope of being mounted onto a multifuel? This seems much cheaper than going to an electric fan, plus it stays simple and mechanical.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the price of a 400 fan assembly? What's the price of an electric fan?

sp00n

24v electric fan is gunna be expensive, and the 25amp Deuce alt probably wont keep up with demand and will likely need to be re-cored. Surely a 400 Cummins fan clutch wouldn't be a high dollar item considering how widely used the engine is.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do a search for threads started by saqwatchsanta he has done the electric fan swap and documented it already. You can upgrade from the 25a gen to a 60a alt relatively easy.

sp00n

I'm more interested in keeping a mechanical fan.

Back to the original topic, would a 400 Cummins clutch mate to an LDT? I can modify bolt holes, more interested in its width to clear the radiator.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
16" electric fan, 24 volt, $53-150. Cummins 400 fan clutch(clutch only), $175-250.

Your gen will have enough to run an electric fan.

The clutch fan assembly is about 4" thick. It is not gonna fit unless you move your radiator and grill forward, or your engine back.

You'll need to customize either fan to fit.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you serviced your cooling system lately? Do you have a properly operating thermostat?

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Cummins 400 uses a air operated clutch fan. It is a rather expensive set up It uses a temp operated switch called a Shutterstat. The shutterstat is around $90.00 and fits in the palm of your hand.Here is a company that carries thee units. But I bet you would be $s ahead going electric.
FanClutch.com - heavy duty fan clutches and fan blades for all trucks and cars

:ditto:

They are not cheap, even if you could adapt it to fit. I just had to repair the one on the Cummins in my International. A reman'd unit was between $600 to $900. Plus you have the $300 to $400 core charge. Then you have all the work as far as putting in all the air lines and a Shutterstat in order for it to work.

Ruppster

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For now, a grill cover or temporary radiator cover will help. I use a piece of cardboard, I cover half the radiator face with it. It lasts all winter and works fine.

While I agree that there is some power used to operate the fan, you could also recover that and more power, by simply going back to stock sized tires.

I don't think you'll ever notice a difference.

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric fans work, I have been running a 21" 24v fan for 5 years now on Squirt. Only issue is at high engine speeds the temp will climb to high and I have to reduce RPM. Heavy loads and heavy pulls are no problem at lower RPM like 2200.

I have the plan for an adapter to install a thermostatic fan clutch on the multi, using a late 90's GM fan clutch and fan. (typically $50 to $75) Just need a shop to make the adapter.

You do NOT want to use the air clutch fan, they are expensive and heavy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In looking for power, I recommend a pyro and playing with the fuel settings. (I have not seen if you added a pyro in other posts.)

Green Toys

I just installed a viscous fan clutch on my M52A2 Miltifuel yesterday, Took the stock fan off, went to a local junk yard and looked around till I found a match, the bolt pattern was right but the pilot hub was not, so I measured the hub = 1 1/2" bought a 1 1/2" set collar, welded it to the hub and put longer bolts in it. Turned out that the new fan was about 1/2" larger than the stock, so I trimmed the new blades, it was easy b/c they are aluminum. The fan and clutch is off of a 1996 f-350. Not sure what motor. The whole project cost me $50 for the fan $7 for the set collar and took about 2 Hours start to finish. I will take some Picts today and load them. The tornado noise is gone!!!!!! The truck is sooooooo much quieter.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just installed a viscous fan clutch on my M52A2 Miltifuel yesterday, Took the stock fan off, went to a local junk yard and looked around till I found a match, the bolt pattern was right but the pilot hub was not, so I measured the hub = 1 1/2" bought a 1 1/2" set collar, welded it to the hub and put longer bolts in it. Turned out that the new fan was about 1/2" larger than the stock, so I trimmed the new blades, it was easy b/c they are aluminum. The fan and clutch is off of a 1996 f-350. Not sure what motor. The whole project cost me $50 for the fan $7 for the set collar and took about 2 Hours start to finish. I will take some Picts today and load them. The tornado noise is gone!!!!!! The truck is sooooooo much quieter.
With all this WELDING and fan blade TRIMMING, I would WORRY about BALANCE, OUT of BALANCE at a LOW rpm is bad, at a HIGH rpm is VERY, VERY BAD, the out of balance WILL take out everything connected to the out of balanced item ( in this case W/P/ fan HUB if separate), sometimes being a VERY spectacular event with a LOT of collateral DAMANGE, it does NOT take a LOT of OUT of BALANCE to bring on this kind of event.

Last edited:

ALFA2

Wow, this is getting interesting, at much over 2000 RPM the fan can make a mess, but if its done right, it does not have to. It would be interesting to see how you adapted the ford fan clutch to Deuce water pump. Please explain more.

Thank you.

ALFA2